3| The Key

I let out a large yawn as I finally hit send on the last unanswered email in my inbox. I was so ready to leave. I've been working at this law firm since I graduated college as the personal assistant to the lead partner. 

I enjoyed it and it was good money, but lately I've been a little on edge. Having Wyatt back in town really did change a lot of things. I thought about him frequently while he was in California for school. Now, he consumed my thoughts even more now that he was back.

After the panic attack I had at the restaurant, and Wyatt coming over to my apartment, he and I haven't talked much. That was two days ago.

We both had ended up falling asleep on the couch that night. When I had woken up that morning, he was gone and had left a note. His note wasn't anything special. It simply said that he had some stuff to take care of and he would talk to me later.

I let out a frustrated breath as I logged out of my computer. Why did he effect me this way? Why did Wyatt have to invade every thought that I had? It crushed me when I told him how I felt on the day of our high school graduation, and he shut me down. Then he left for four years and I thought that I would get over him. 

Clearly, I haven't. To make matters worse, I was dating his brother. I did care about Logan and I was attracted to him; but something about our so-called relationship didn't feel right. All the times that I've kissed Logan haven't even come close to the very few times I had kissed Wyatt. When Wyatt and I kissed, it was like everything in the world fell away. 

The last time that happened was the night of our high school prom. Refusing to relive that memory, I got up from my desk and started walking to my car. 

"Amelia!" 

I stopped and turned when I heard my boss's voice. "Yes, Mr. Anderson? Did I forget something?" 

He smiled as he stopped in front of me. Kyle Anderson was a middle-aged tall man with salt and pepper hair. He has been happily married to his wife Patricia for twenty years. I haven't had many bosses in my life, but to me he was a good one. 

"No, not at all," he said kindly. "I just wanted to let you know that I approved your request." 

"I'm sorry, sir. My request?" 

His smile vanished; his expression turning pensive. "Yes. For your upcoming family trip. I think your boyfriend called this morning and spoke to HR about it." 

Wait, Logan called my office? Why would he do that? I told him before not to interfere with my work. I don't even know what request he's even talking about.

I faked a smile as I put my hand to my head. "I'm sorry, Mr. Anderson. I've had a lot on my mind lately and completely forgot about it. Thank you so much for approving it!" 

I swear, when I see Logan...

"No problem," my boss said as he turned to leave. "Have a good night, Amelia. I'll see you tomorrow." 

"You too," I replied as I got in my car. I stayed in my parking spot for a moment and took a few deep breaths. I closed my eyes and rested my head against my seat.

I didn't know what request my boss was talking about, but it had to mean time off. What was Logan planning? And why didn't he tell me about it?

Chime-chime

At first, I didn't want to even look at my phone to see who had texted me. But I was also kind of hoping it was Logan so I could rip him a new one. I glanced down at my phone and was pleasantly surprised. 

Wyatt: Hey Lia. What are you up to?

As always, my heart did that little flutter thing.