Chapter 22: Reverence

Song recommendation: Hair Down SiR ft Kendrick Lamar "And I don't really give a damn how y'all feel, baby I'm just tryna let my hair down"

     Ella and Sage spent a week weighing options

     Ella and Sage spent a week weighing options. She knew the first step was finding a good obstetrician before moving forward. Her mind was constantly preoccupied with the baby that she almost forgot her plans with her new photographer friend, Luka.

     The results were in her hands, proof that she was carrying life. She couldn't comprehend how she would be able to bring in life when her own was like a ball of tangled cords. She was sure her parents hated her and her boyfriend had various people that wanted him and possibly her out of the picture. David had his own way of life before her and she's aware, but now it seems as if his paranoia was getting to her. She's constantly looking over her shoulder, suspicious of every stranger she encounters and she absolutely does not sleep at night. Not to mention she's just a kid herself, she was just starting to take her life into her own hands and now she had to worry about a much more fragile and smaller one on it's way.

     On the other hand, it was important to recognize that in life, destiny isn't chosen but assigned. Sage would have no choice but to handle the baby with care and watch someone born out of love if she did decide to keep it. The baby would bask in glory because both parents love him or her very much and are very proud at what they have done. She was prepared to go to war for the baby no matter what it took. Having a baby wouldn't always be peaches and cream but she knew there would be times she wouldn't fathom life without their child. It was just a lot to ponder especially before she ran out of time for any other option.

     Luka was a layers guy, he never really wore a coat when they'd meet. Most times it was just a sweater or cardigan on top of one another. He zipped down his last hoodie before directing all of his attention towards her. His dreads fell in his face so he pushed some under his beanie. "How are you?"

     Sage laughed internally because if she really told him he would probably freak out for her but she simply shrugged, "I'm well, thank you. How about you?"

     She was very obvious when she lied but he decided to leave those can of worms closed, it wasn't his business. "Excited for this new moon."

     She raised her brow at his response, "What?"

     "The new moon means energy exhausted differently depending on the planet it falls in. Right now the lunar return is in Scorpio. Rebirth." She took in all this new information he just shared. Was this a sign?

     She leaned in, even more interested. "Rebirth? Is that all that a scorpio moon represents?"

     He shook his head. "Brooding intensity, secrets are being held, and definitely other underlying issues budding this lunar season." His words were pulling her in. She was absolutely intrigued by all of this. This was the guidance in her life she needed.

     "Wow... didn't know how deep astrology went. Where'd you learn all of this?"

     "My mom, but also nothing a few books couldn't teach me." Luka shrugged. Sage remembered his love of books peeking through since the last time they met. This time he had a different Stephen King novel in his hand. "I forgot to tell you, I live close by here but I didn't know how you felt about meeting at mine."

     "Oh, I don't mind..." She said softly. She liked the fact that he was being a gentleman, she wasn't accustomed to that with most men.

     "We can go and take a look at my camera collection and some of my work if you want?" He posed it as a question to get her to trust him a bit more. He reached out and placed his hands on top of hers on the table in the cafe they were at.

     "Sure." She almost forgot he was a whole photographer and that's why they were sitting here together. The duo gathered their things, Luka putting on his layer of clothing and Sage throwing on her expensive coat and the matching bag to go with it.

     "Let's go." It wasn't long before they found themselves in downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg to be exact. Luka pushed his door open revealing a large and spacious apartment.

     "Cool place," she said, looking around. Her eyes followed the brick walls on one side. The couch and other places to sit stuck out with their fire engine red color.

     "Thanks, love." He shot her a proud smile as she walked in. She sat on the couch in the living room after he grabbed her jacket. "I'll take this. Would you like some water?"

     "Yeah, sure." Luka threw up a thumbs up indicating he was on it and disappeared into the kitchen. He came back with two cups of water, handing one to Sage who graciously accepted it.

     She sipped on her water as Luka went over to the record player in the corner by the television. "Whatchu listen to?" He asked her, flipping though the variety of vinyl collections.

     "Well, what do you have?" Her vision seemed to be cloudy, she rubbed her eyes to see if she could adjust but it was no use.She picked up her water and took another few swigs.

     Luka twirled around with a few records still in his hand, he noticed her eyes were getting lower and her body more sunken into the seat. "I got everything from old to new, duwop to blues, jazz and hip hop."

     "What about that Paul Anka song? Put Your Head on My Shoulder." She suggested. Her head felt too heavy to lift so she let it fall back.

     "Good taste." He turned back to the record player and played the song, while her eyes were giving out on her.

     "Put your head on my shoulder, hold me in your arms, baby," he sang along to the voice of Paul Anka, turning back around to see Sage knocked out. Perfect, GHB worked like a charm.

     Endnote: Y'all this shit crazy or nah? Keep the comments rolling, I wanna see what y'all think and please keep up with the votes!