Chapter 1

Aquamarine's pov

-

"I'd rather die than get married to a man" I groaned to myself

I glanced at myself in the mirror, my dark hair was flowing with the water, my golden crown rested on my head with ease. It was a reminder of what was to come. My green eyes looked almost invisible with the amount of decorations these mermaids placed on my face. Starfishes dressed along my chest and pearls wrapped around my wrist

They said I needed to look pretty for my future husband

Well they could all piss off, I don't need a man to survive. I've come all this way on my own and I'd be damned if I let a man make any decisions for me and the rest of my fish life.

I ran a hand through my hair, and admired myself in the mirror, my green and purple tail glittered under the reflected light, a white veil rested on my crown that covered my face. My hands found the shell necklace my mother gave to me. It was the only thing I have left of her

Yeah she's dead.

Call me blunt but that's exactly how I am. People waste too much time beating around the bush. I find it highly annoying.

I was just fourteen when my mother was taken away from me. One day we swam off to the open valley, it was our usual spot to get away from the hustle of our lives. The only part of the ocean where grass grew, we never knew why. But it was different, it's what attracted us to the area in the first place.

But on this day, a few humans with a fetish for fishes decided to throw a net into the ocean. You'd think we'd be smart enough to get away from a simple rope. Sadly it tangled between my tail, my mother tried to free me from its grasp.

With one swift pull, she was taken to the surface. Gone. Just like that, it was far too late for me or anyone to aid to her rescue.

She was gone. I never saw the woman that nurtured me. The woman that was supposed to brush my hair until I shift off to Mer-cademy. The woman that was supposed to be there for me. She was gone.

"Are you ready Aqua?" a voice came from behind, I whipped my neck around to see a mermaid hovering at the door.

"I'm coming" I mumbled, she nodded and swam away, leaving the door slightly ajar

My fingers ran over the shell necklace again, I bit my lips nervously as I recalled the face of my mother. Her strong jawline, her smile that lit up the entire Atlantis, she was special in her own way. A rule breaker, that's something I inherited from her.

She was never scared to speak her mind, I guess that's why my father fell in love with her in the first place.

He was so in love back then, it's been five years. Five years since we both lost someone we loved so dearly.