I N T R O

Do you know the feeling of whispers? The knocks and uncertain sounds that on occasion are brought to your attention? The ones you have to blow off as nothing or blame on something else...? Some people say that the sounds and feelings we can't explain are the presence of lost shadows frantically searching for the last pieces of their life. What we hear is their footsteps. What is unknown is what is between them.

P R O L O U G E

The storm outside shuttered the windows of your apartment as you stretched. Nerves fluttered in your stomach from anticipation like butterflies with torn wings. Your project that was due tomorrow and the uncertainty behind it's completion was enough to pound against your mind relentlessly, leaving a painful echo. Your eyes were strained from countless hours of staring at blank screens of different sorts.

You needed a break. You needed sleep.

Your heart was pounding and your head was spinning. Outside the storm raged on, not stopping and mercilessly attempting to batter everything below it. It was so dark that you couldn't even see your usual view of the ocean or the sure tussle of waves fighting against the shore.

Why were you so anxious? It was just a simple assignment. Maybe it wasn't the assignment at all that had you so worked up, but if not, then what was it?

You chewed at your bottom lip, not able to subside the growing feelings of uncertainty and fear in your stomach. What was wrong with you? It was like your body knew something bad was happening without logic or reason.

Figuring you should try to get ready for bed, you slowly made your way to your small bathroom as the floor creaked underneath your footsteps. The sudden flash of lightning illuminated the room and you spun around upon suddenly sensing a presence, but the only thing behind you was the flicker of your own shadow that had appeared with the sudden light from the sky. It vanished instantly and you were left in darkness once more.  

You quickly rushed to the bathroom and turned on the light. You were immediately met with your own reflection. You stared at yourself for a moment. You didn't look so good. 

Shaking the fatigue and restlessness, you shook your head and placed your hands on your cheeks. They were warm and you could almost feel the blood rushing under your skin. You quickly gripped onto the handle of the sink faucet and turned; a stream of cool water now flowing with the simple action. Your hands lapped up the cool liquid graciously and you attempted to transfer it to your warm face as the droplets tried to escape your cupped palm.

The water hit your face and temporarily blinded you, causing you to blink in order to see again. Reaching out for a towel, you dried the liquid and looked up, freezing when you could now see what was in front of you.

Slowly but surly, red marker appeared on the cool glass. You only froze and watched the crimson streaks move and form letters, mingling with the scattered drops of water on the glass and almost hypnotizing you in the process. It quickly began to spell words you recognized. You began to softly quiver and took a step back.

SAVE PARK JIMIN

Before you could even think of screaming, the glass shattered.

S U M M A R Y

With no memories and a new identity of '#79', you wake up in a place known as 'the Between'; a carnival that seems to be a passing for souls who have died. Given few choices and barely any understanding, you are given the option to work for your memories before a mysterious 'final show'. You are able to uncover only one piece of information about your formal life; your cause of death. And apparently you died because of someone named Park Jimin. You soon run into an contemporary dancer from the entertainment section, and together, begin to uncover the dark secrets of 'the Between' and fight for former memories that seem more and more entwined as they're discovered... especially when you find out your companion's name is in fact none other than Park Jimin. 

"I... I don't think I was ready to die."

"So let's keep living together."

A U T H O R S   N O T E

This will be different from anything I've ever written before so... welcome! This has been in my drafts for awhile but I vowed I wouldn't publish and start working on it until I finished at least ONE of my other books. 

A word of warning, this book does cover the topic of death and is a bit more intense than my other books have been. Also, it's very difficult to explain or summarize the plot or setting. If you're curious, then give it a read! To give a comparison it will sort of be like Ever After mixed with my Cursed AUs. My job will be to paint the picture I'm attempting to convey so you guys can picture the world the characters are stuck in with as little confusion as possible. 

I love you all and I'm really sorry for starting another book when I haven't finished others, but what can I say...

I can't help it.

53 41 56 45 20 48 49 4d 20 37 39

B|E|T|W|E|E|N|F|O|O|T|S|T|E|P|S

5/24/20-???