17 June, 1977 - Helping Hands

Sirius had been about to go to bed when he decided to check the map one more time, just to make sure Selwyn really wasn't wandering tonight. It wasn't like her to stay still, but she was in her dormitory, unmoving, just like the last time he'd looked. He couldn't help but smile slightly. She was sleeping, which was progress. He still had no idea what was going on with her, other than whatever hell she endured at home, which she'd never brought up again. He hadn't pushed it. In fact, he never pushed her on anything and he knew Remus didn't either, both of them figuring it was best to just keep her distracted and make sure someone was there if she needed it.

So he was glad she was sleeping, glad that whatever it was that usually kept her awake was letting her be this night. Even if he would have liked to talk to her.

It was odd how quickly he had grown to enjoy his late night wanderings with Selwyn. Certainly, there were times when she scared him a little, on those nights when she was deathly silent and it seemed nothing could make her smile or laugh. But most of the time, they simply had conversations, usually punctuated with some sort of sharp comments. Though more and more often those comments were less cruel and more playful, like he and James were with each other.

It had somewhat surprised him today, when there hadn't been a teasing smile or laugh to go along with her snappish words, though he knew it shouldn't have. She was a different person at night it seemed and surrounded by her friends, in the middle of the day she was still the same Lavinia Selwyn. Like nothing had changed.

No wonder none of her friends seem to suspect anything, he thought, glancing once more at the map. She's a bloody good actress.

"No Selwyn tonight?" asked Remus, rubbing his wet hair with a towel as he emerged from the bathroom, and sitting down on his bed. Peter jumped up and took Remus's place getting ready for the night.

"Nope," Sirius said, offering over the map to his friend.

"Thank Merlin," James interjected from the other side of Sirius's bed as Remus took the map.

Sirius cast him an annoyed glance over his shoulder. "Aw, c'mon Prongs," he teased. "You enjoyed your night with her."

"I did no such thing," James said with extreme dignity, though his ears turned slightly red.

Sirius smirked. "Mmhmm," he hummed skeptically. "I don't know what your problem is, mate," he added. "Even Peter liked her. Right Pete?" He raised his voice, leaning over to be able to see where the fourth boy was brushing his teeth.

Peter looked over, slightly startled. "Mm shee ush nish," he said through a mouth full of toothpaste.

"Don't hurt yourself, Pete," James snorted rolling his eyes.

"No clue what he said, but I'm going to say he agrees with me," Sirius asserted, turning again to look at James. "So what's your issue with her?"

James sighed and shook his head. "I don't know how you guys have forgotten, but she's Selwyn. You saw her today. She hasn't changed a bit."

Sirius opened his mouth to argue, but Lupin spoke first. "She's not in her dorm, Sirius," he said, frowning down at the map, which was unfolded in his lap.

"Yeah she is," Sirius said, getting up and going to look over Remus's shoulder. "See she's right-" He broke off. She wasn't there. "Where the hell..."

Remus frowned, looking down at the map and unfolding another flap of it. "I don't know. I've been looking but I..." he trailed off, staring down at the bottom of the map, where the entrance hall and grand staircase sat empty. "She's outside?" Remus said finally, the words more a question than a statement.