Chapter Fifteen

Jacob didn't walk Merida home because he has basketball practice. Merida wanted to watch but cheerleaders like Lisa is what she's avoiding. Actually, she sometimes thinks that Lisa and Jacob look good together. She sighed at that thought.

On her way home, she wore earphones just listening to her type of music. It makes her feel happy and forgets her self loathing thoughts.

What she didn't know was Leo had followed her. He wanted to approach her since earlier but Jacob was guarding. Now is his chance that she's alone.

"So, are you guys officially together now?" He asked and waited for a response but nope, no words came.

Leo made a face and decided to try again.

"Uhm... did you find the quiz hard?"

Still no answer.

"Fudge," he swore under his breath. This scene was making him look so embarrassing. Is this girl in front of him even Merida? Ugh... he should stop being nice!

He went his way and grab Merida's arm, making her swivel. She was so surprised.

"Leo?"

Then Leo saw that she was wearing earphones. That made him "tch" at her. "Why are you wearing earphones while walking alongside the street? Don't you know that's dangerous?"

Somewhat, he managed to toss away his embarrassing moment.

"I always do this," she answered, her face showing she's creeped out by his sudden action.

"Doesn't mean you're safe! What if a six-wheeler loses control of the brake, headed towards you and people are shouting. You wouldn't hear it wearing earphones and blasting music, would you?" He snapped.

Merida cutely laughed at his sudden what-ifs. Leo was weird, somehow.

"What's so funny?" He asked, furrows showing in between his thick brows.

"Nothing," she replied with a smile.

"Aye! Anyways, I was wondering if you'd like a—" he stopped when he remembers his unwashed favourite hoodie. "I freaking want ice cream."

Merida raised her brow. "Well... go get one?"

"You have to get me one," he uttered.

"What? I don't owe you any—"

"You do! My unwashed FAVORITE hoodie. You said you'd wash it before you give it back but then your asshole boyfriend threw it at me! Your stinky smell was on there!" He abruptly yelled.

Merida's jaw dropped. She can't believe it! "Hey, I didn't force you to lend me your—"

"Really?" He glares. "Alright, I'll tell you how I HAND WASHED my FAVORITE hoodie so the colour and your—"

"Yah!" Merida shouts at him. "Fine! Tch! You're unbelievable!"

Leo then cutely grinned winning the argument. They both look crazy yelling at each other for a minute there.

They entered the shop nearest to them that sells different kind of food and things. It's an all in one shop. They went to the big freezer and picked the flavours that they want. They scanned it and ate it inside the store.

"So, are you guys officially dating?" Leo asked, stuffing a spoon of ice cream in his mouth.

Merida raised her brow and annoyingly smiled. "Why? Are you jealous?" She asked laughing like a witch.

Leo looked outside. "Tch! Yep, I'm so jealous," he replied and looks at her annoying face. He made it sound sarcastic but it was actually a serious response.

Merida rolled her eyes, not noticing that fainted look on Leo's face. She honestly thought his reply was a joke.

"Do you think it happened too fast?" She suddenly sounded serious, looking down at her ice cream.

Leo continues to eat his ice cream and looked outside through the glass.

"No, I don't think so. And you know if it did, who cares? It's love. It happens mysteriously, sometimes at the touch of a hand or in a second. Often, you'll never really know it's love until it's too late and gone. Those people who realize it before it's too late... are called lucky ones. They don't get so much hurt before really finding it." Leo turned to Merida and saw her looking straight at him with a weird look.

"You've been hurt before, huh?" She asked.

Leo softly chuckled. "No. I just got hurt today." He then stands up to avoid further questions from her. "I'm going to be right back."

He excused himself and into the comfort room to pee. After doing his thing, he went back to where Merida was but she's gone. He looked around and finally saw her at the school supplies area.

Merida with two notebooks on her hand. She seemed to like those two designs, a white glittery cover and the butterfly covered one.

He approached her. "Having trouble choosing?"

She nodded.

"Why don't you buy those two?"

Merida looks up at him and smiled. "If I buy two, it'd take a while for me to use the other one. I don't want to be unfair to the other one."

"That's ridiculous," Leo commented. "Notebooks doesn't have feelings."

"They will when you write on them," she answered abruptly, smiling at him.

That made sense, Leo thought. Ladies and gentlemen, an ugly girl had finally defeated him.

"Alright, I'll buy both of them. I'll give you the butterfly design because it suits you. And for the glittery one, I'll use it so you won't feel guilty. That good for you?"

Merida showed a flattering smile and nodded. Leo knows and finds Merida beautiful. It's just sad that he has to hold back. What's sadder is, he wasn't able to be brave enough and approach her sooner. And now, all he can do is stare at her, like the stars that he watches every night at his roof. So near yet so far.

After Leo walked Merida home, he passes by a shop to buy some cup noodles. At the counter, he saw Brandon and Candice. At first, he thought they were dating, but then when they mentioned Merida and Jacob, he couldn't help but eavesdrop.

He heard about the plans for the festival and people they were going to invite. Then Leo thought, how was that plan going to prove Jacob's love? Well, hasn't Jacob already proved that? After all, Jacob was the first to stand up for Merida in her long time in shame.

All he is concerned with is Merida so he let them be and just walk out with his cup noodles. He just has to be cautious. How funny it is that finally, God gave him love yet someone else owns it.

He looked up at the night sky and scoffed. "Really? Just how unfair can you get?"

•••

AN: Leo doesn't hate God. His character is just so close with God that he treats God as a friend and finds no reason to be angry but instead understands Him and trust His plans.❤️

Also I thank you lovely humans for reading and voting! We reached 4k reads and I'm so grateful ❤ I wuv you guys 😘