1 : With Bones That Burn

CHAPTER ONE
━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

CHAPTER ONE━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

Without her family, Mae is truly nothing. Everyone in the Evans' household (including her snarky older sister) acts as a backbone for the young teenager, in ways more than she can even begin to comprehend. Mae can survive the world only because of her parents, particularly her father who never fails to encourage his daughter whenever she needs it. Her mother, Maya is literally out there kicking criminal ass with a S.H.I.E.L.D badge firm on her chest. So if there is any danger her way, Mae knows that her mother won't hesitate to save her the correct moment. Perhaps it can even be her sister one day, since she is now training to be a future agent at S.H.I.E.L.D as well. Her family is her armour, a shield she is encaged in. Without her family- she is vulnerable.

- and she pretends like that doesn't bother her.

Most days she wishes that she could just run away- from her poorly constructed life and it's insignificant constituents. Particularly the disease that has been sticking with her for as long as she remembers. Thanks to her genius biochemist of a father, proper precautions are being handled to make sure it doesn't intensify. Sometimes it is sickening to see her father work hard day and night for a miraculous cure, one that hasn't been discovered yet. Even the chances of that happening anytime soon are highly improbable. Mae just wishes that he would stop trying, but another side of her urges her father to go on. She doesn't like the idea of living the rest of her short life tracing the rules and guidelines word for word.

Her skin is ablaze, a fire screeching embers around her. It is a feeling she learned to get used to over the years, but the pain isn't getting used to. The pain will never leave her alone, but she has to live with it. It's a part of her body, just like how no living being can function without their steady heartbeats- the burns gives her life. Her knees threaten to collapse into a pile of ash as she walks in the corridor of Midtown High, the movement flaming her joints. If the pain appeared when she was home, an ice pack would immediately be brought to soothe the pain and even though the pain wouldn't fade, Mae would feel at ease. But comfort for especially people like her can't be greeted whenever she wishes. So she keeps walking like she isn't molten lava, it's a symptom and it can't be helped.