37. We don't have all day

We all rise early and take it in turns packing up what little things that we have taken out of our bags from last night. I pack up first, whilst the men are outside gathering their belongings that they left out around the fire last night for some reason that is unknown to me.

My arms are stiff, making my motions look rather unnatural to begin with until finally they loosen up a bit. Apart from my arms though, I feel content, being able to sleep on a proper bed works wonders to you, and I am much more awake and energy filled then I have been for days.

I wander outside with my bags and place them in a neat pile, "The hut is free, someone else can go in now."

Killian nods at me and strides in and it is then that I realise that Sage is a bit further away with Winnifred and the other two horses.

I take a moment to stretch, and take in the morning view. Clear pale skies lie above the valley, clouds only touching the tips of the mountains around. A flock of swans have made their way to our side of the lake, and are elegantly minding their own business a little way away from us. Finally my eyes drift to the far side of the lake, and I get a burst of excitement, their in the distance, a little boat has begun to make its way across the lake towards us.

I go back over to the hut to alert Killian.

"Our ride is on it's way over!" I say, leaning against the door frame.

Killian picks up his bags off his bed, "Then it is good timing that we started packing already,"

I nod and push off my shoulder and stand upright, "Do you need any help? I have nothing left to pack."

"No," He walks past me, "I too, am packed," 

"Then let us help Sage out with the horses," I walk after him.

"Feel free to, I however have other things to attend to."

I give him a strange look, what other things could he possible have to attend to?

As I walk over to Sage, I watch Killian out of the corner of my eye. He bends down to his bag and draws something out of it, too small for me to see at this distance, and then walks around the hut to what I assume is the lake.

If I say that I am puzzled in this moment, is an understatement.

"Ell," Sage says, breaking into my thoughts, "Are you going to stay pretending to be a boy when we reach the village?" He walks over with both Winnie and Griffin.

"It makes sense if I do, safety and all," I say after thinking about it.

"Very true, although I do remember this village being a fairly safe place, not at all dangerous to be a traveling women, nor will many questions be asked. Not only do they get travellers of all shapes and sizes occasionally coming through, but also in Kirkwall, women are viewed as equals to men." He passes me the ropes to the horses.

I raise my eyebrows, "That is different..." And sounds like my ideal place.

"The ways of the rest of our society don't effect them much, the mountain people have their own rules and hierarchies, and because they don't pose as any threat, nor cause much trouble to the Earl so he leaves them be." He explains, walking over to Sunshine who has her nose stuck in a bush but sees him coming out of the corner of her eye. She flicks her black tail and side steps around the bush, avoiding Sage.

"Come on Sunshine, don't make this hard for us both!" He exclaims but all she does is lift her head to look him in the eye, a look that say, leave me alone, I'm eating.

Sage sighs and turns to me, "Ell, can you take those two back to the hut and wait there with them, I may be a few more moments,"

"Good luck," I laugh, walking away with the horses who actual listen.