Chapter 8

Head laid low, Jaemin sat down silent in the living room along with the two adults in front of him. It was a Wednesday evening, the children should be home at anytime soon. The television screen was on, the reporter continued her lines till the end of the image attached on the top right screen showing a two pictures, NCT DREAM and alongside an individual picture of Jaemin.

"you ran away from home?" Ms.Shin turned to look at him, expressions seem to look calm. Same goes to Uncle Jin. Jaemin shook his head in response. He was as surprised as them, how could the company do this to him? Did they even have his parents consent?

The sound of the front door opened to see the two enter. Hyunjae quickly ran into his room while Shinrae was still up front, taking of her shoes. She enters the living room to see her parents with a serious look with Jaemin sitting right across from them. The sound of the TV alerted her to drift her attention to it, she had her eyes widen and turned to Jaemin.

-

"not everything stated in the news is true," he started. Shinrae sat down alongside her parents, so eager to listen to what he was about to say. She was waiting for this since he stepped foot in this house and it was time.

"the health break part was a lie because yes, I ran away,"

"-not from home, but from the company that same night you found me at the back of your car at the gas station," he explains as he looked straight towards Uncle Jin. Clearing his throat, he continued his story from beginning to end. Jaemin was both scared and relieved as he tells them his story. The only thing he's trying to think about right now, is where to go. He was worried yet sure that the family might have to kick him out after this. He was also scared to go back home, he doesn't want to face his parents right now after all this mess he has made.

He just needed to hide a little longer.

"I was just planning to take a break for myself, didn't expect the company would pull this off" Jaemin turned to look at the TV screen, playing an ad.

" a torture and slaved. a little intense but that's what I think,"

"- my condition wasn't even getting treated because of what? its not that severe?"

"but im glad I've got to get away from there, ive never felt free," Jaemin continues. He was trying to hold back his tears and smiled. The family looked at eachother with a sympathetic look. Footsteps was heard from above, heading downstairs all cleaned and changed. Jaemin immediately wiped his tears and watched Hyunjae as he enters the living room and flopped into the couch, sitting next to him.

The little boy scanned the room, wondering why it was quiet all of a sudden. Shinrae's eyes never left Jaemin, she finally understood why he left. She finally understood why he did what he did and she felt bad for what he's going through right now.

"Hyung lets play ball again outside," the little boy chirped as he stood up from his seat and sped off to search for the ball. Jaemin looked back at the family trying to get their approval, Ms.Shin nodded with a smile on her face. He stands, bowing down at them before heading outside.

Shinrae stepped forward, approaching the clear backdoor and watched the two play. She had her arms crossed and smiled, Hyunjae has never been this hyped to go outside and play. He would usually stay in his room and watch videos from the computer or something like that. He just needed someone to play with since she wasn't always around. Busy with school stuff or hanging out with friends.

Time has passed and the family was now seated, having dinner. No one has spoken a word, it was awkward. Jaemin hurriedly finished his food and stood up, catching everyone's attention.

He brought his plate into the sink, washing them. He turned around to face the family who was confused at what he's about to do. He suddenly bowed,

"thank you everyone, i appreciate what you've done for me these past few days,"

"-i appreciate it a lot but i better get going now," he said with a sincere smile before walking away.

"jaemin wait!" Ms.Shin called him out making him look back.

"you haven't had dessert yet, i made pumpkin pie," she said. Jaemin told them it was okay but she kept telling him to stay and eat making him surrender.

Hyunjae finished his slice in no time and put his plate away before running his way up to his room. There were now left with the four of them, Shinrae was washing the dishes while the others were at the table.

"where are you gonna go?" Uncle Jin started. He looked up and stuttered.

"i don't know yet"

"we never told you to leave jaemin," Ms.Shin spoke softly.

"we just wanted an explanation and we were glad that you were being straight honest with us," she continued.

"stay here for the mean time, you're already like family to us son," Uncle Jin stated with a smile. Jaemin froze, he didn't know how to react but to he grabbed a hold on to Ms.Shin's hand to thank her. Uncle Jin smiled from the other end of the table.

He feels so grateful.

-

Jaemin sat down on his bed. He suddenly laid back and stared up against the ceiling. He still feels a bit disturbed about the news SM has posted about him. He scoffed when he recalled the part when they said "a break from promotions". He finds it hard to believe, would he really put him on health break with his condition?

The part about the herniated disc was true. He has been getting that since his trainee days, his doctor kept telling him to take it easy on himself when practicing. He tried to listen but he didn't have a choice but to just listen to what he's being instructed to do so. He got scolded once for slacking off.

A sudden knock on the door startled the boy as he gave the person on the other side of the door an approval to enter. The female enters the room making Jaemin stand up.

"hey" he said and she smiled.

"are you okay?" she said as she stepped forward.

"about?"

"you, yourself. Physically and mentally i mean," she said. Jaemin looked down at her, he could sense the concern in her eyes. He smiled,

"im doing okay, just confused that's all," he responded.

Her actions made Jaemin's eyes widen as she suddenly brought him into a hug. Her hair was brushing against his chin and arms were around his neck.

"im so sorry about everything you're going through right now" she said.

"but be sure to know that everything will be okay in the end," she continues. Jaemin slowly trailed his hands on her back and hugged her back. This sort of comfort is quite rare for him, he doesn't usually come in contact with girls.

He closed his eyes, still in each others embrace. It was a rare feeling, and he likes it.