𝐂.04

the first outburst of many

"NO EFFING WAY, PULL OVER! Slow! We don't want to scare her." Kiara says smiling, as she looks at the small girl walking at a slow pace a couple of yards away. Kie denotes that Marty was wearing the same outfit she had on the night before, but her mesh shirt was wrapped around her hips. She didn't want to be judgmental because she and the gang are known to wear the same pieces of clothing for multiple strands of days —and yet, she couldn't help but wonder why. Marty seemed so sophisticated, better than the rest of the pogues, she knew deep in her gut something wasn't right.

"Why is she walking barefoot, though?" Pope says as Kiara slides open the van door.

"That's the first thing you see? Is there something you wanna tell us, Pope?" John B remarks, as he presses his foot on the brake pedal and turns the steering wheel in order to move the van closer to where Martha was walking.

"JB, this is Pope you are talking about. The guy wants to play with dead people, so what if he has a foot fetish." JJ mumbles as he lights the weed in between his thumb and his finger. He takes a puff, as he scoots closer to where Kiara was, trying to get a good look at Martha.

"No. I want to examine," Pope sighs as he moves back towards the van back wall since JJ practically took his spot next to Kie.

"Shut up." Kie interrupts their gross and stupid conversation and turns her head in the direction of Martha.

"Same difference, man," JJ mumbles under his breath, only audible for Pope and John B to hear.

"Hey! Martha!" She yells at Martha, trying her best not to disturb the girl's barefoot walk.

Martha's limp is almost completely gone, but there were still some parts of her body that hurt like hell. She looked down at the cement road trying not to step on anything sharp because her feet were aching with pain. She thought she heard the sound of tires rolling on the dirt road behind her. She was too scared to turn around, figuring it was Rafe following her, so she didn't bother to turn around to check if it was following her.

But then she hears a familiar voice yell out to her. She slowly turns around trying not to let anyone know that something is very wrong. Smile, it's just the pogues. You're okay, you're safe, you're happy, she thinks, sending a smile towards the voice.

"What are you doing out here?" John B says as he fully stops the van, putting it in park.

"Um, just walking home is all," Marty states, eyeing JJ as he blows out smoke in her direction.

"Do you need a ride home?" Kie asks, offering Marty a friendly smile.

"I mean if it's alright with the driver?" Marty leans towards the front passenger side window and sends John B her best puppy dog eyes she could muster up.

"Yeah, yeah, get in."

"Where are you coming from anyway?" Kie asks as Marty made her way over to the open van door.

"I, uh, slept over at Nicki's," Marty says, pointing behind her head. She passed the Thornton mansion only about twenty minutes or so ago.

"Nicki? As in Nicolette Thornton, Topper's older sister?" Pope mumbles behind Kie and JJ.

JJ licks his lips and nods, "I told you she's a kook." He says angrily, motioning his hand out to Martha. He leans up, placing his sunglasses over his face, "and we don't help kooks" he growls, grabbing the sliding van door handle.

Martha furrows her brows as she quickly grows upset, and before JJ could shut her out, she grabs him by the collar of his grey surfer-shirt and pulls him down towards her face.

"I.. I am not a kook! Don't.. don't you EVER compare me to them!" Marty yells in his face, her eyes gloss over with tears and she holds the fabric so hard that her knuckles turned white.

The unusual outburst from Marty makes everyone's eyes widen, including JJ's. Being so close to her face he notices that the skin near her eyes was puffy; he notices how her green and brown eyes shined differently at the choice of his words; he even notices the slight change of hue on her neck and her wrists, he knows what they are, he has plenty of them.

He just wants to hug her and tell her that everything will be okay, but being the stubborn ass he is, he shoves her hands off of him.

"Then what the hell are you, huh? You can only be a kook or a pogue!"

Marty huffs and clenches her teeth together.

"I'm a touron, you dumbass." She rolls her eyes, shoves JJ out of the way as she climbs into the van.