Chapter 12: Conversations

Almost an entire army of SHIELD Agents waited for them on the airstrip. They were armored to the teeth, the best protection they could have against a god. No, wait, two gods. They still didn't know if the blonde one, who was apparently Loki's brother Thor, was a friendly guy. Although he did let Cap take Loki in again and cooperated with everything. So far, so good.

Katya made sure the jet was properly shut down and empty before following the rest of the team to the bridge, where they took their seats at the table she was chilling at before. If possible, the bridge got busier while they were gone. Or it might also be the sudden noise after the silence of the jet. 

Katya always liked to sit opposite Natasha so she could see her better and watch her back at the same time. It was a thing that had slipped in gradually. Steve didn't look at her weirdly when she took the seat next to him, this time planting her feet firmly on the ground.

It was a spy thing to always be on the edge of your seat. Literally. Getting up quickly could be the difference between a bullet in your head or your shoulder. She knew which one she would pick.

On the screens in front of them, on the surface of the table, everyone was able to see the big glass cell Loki was placed in. The cell was designed for the Hulk, but a god would do too. It must reach at least ten feet across, was circular and had a whole room for itself. Reinforced walls, heavy locks and security. The best of the best.

Fury walked into the screen, trying to intimidate the god. With his hands behind his back, the calculated expression on his face and the all black outfit, he would have intimidated any normal person. But not Loki. He looked mostly amused. 

''In case it's unclear. You try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass.''

Katya watched as he pressed a big button that opened the hatch below the cell, revealing nothing but empty sky for miles. Her stomach flipped at the thought of free-falling with nothing to catch you, to slow you down. Cruel, but the Hulk could handle the fall.

The god stepped forward, peeking over the edge. Only the sound of the wind would be enough to make anyone afraid, but not him. He must have seen much scarier things in the galaxy.

''Thirty thousand feet, straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works?'' Fury shouted over the noise before closing the hatch again, having made his point. ''Ant.'' He gestured to Loki and then turned to the button again. ''Boot.''

Loki chuckled and smiled, not impressed at all. ''It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me.''

Katya's thoughts flashed to Doctor Banner, who had been working on finding the cube in his lab the whole day and had come out to listen to this conversation. 

The man was so kind and never wanted to hurt anyone. But the Hulk would sometimes come out on his own, nothing he could do about it. As a safeguard, Fury had ordered to have this cage built, in case he lost control. She doubted if it could hold him though. She'd seen the destruction of Harlem.

''Built for something a lot stronger than you.''

''Oh, I've heard.'' Suddenly Loki turns towards the camera, knowing he's being watched by all of them on the screens. ''The mindless beast, makes play he's still a man.'' Natasha looked up from her monitor and carefully studied the reaction of the scientist, who just stared at his own computer. ''How desperate are you, that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?''

''How desperate am I?'' The Director asked sarcastically. ''You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control.'' Loki watched calmly as Fury stepped close to his cell, a thick glass wall the only thing separating them. ''You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did.''