37. A wizened grin

Killian didn't tell me anything else about the festival, and instead left me standing there alone with my imagination. Kahlo always celebrated every small thing, the city never let a chance to party slip by. The people would hang colourful bunting up and down the streets, strung between buildings whilst dancing and music was heard or seen in ever corner.

Or at least, that was until the plague ravished across the land.

Shaking that that thought out of my head I turned my attention back to the ever drawing closer village.

My eyes begin pick out people wandering around, lots of people, far more than I have seen in one place in what seems like forever. Their clothing is also different, it looks to be made more of furs and with a different style to what I am used to, far more fitted.

Finally our boat comes to a soft bump when we reach the Kirkwall's dock.

"We are here," I breathe out softly. I finally turn away from the water and look for Sage who is standing by the horses. I walk over, trying not to wobble too much, my water legs not quite stable when I don't have something to grip onto.

"You ready?" Sage quietly asks.

"More than ready." I grin.

"Our belongs are attached once more to the horses, so we have no need to carry them ourselves," Sage tells me.

"And Atherton has been paid," Killian says from behind me, "now let us go find Gisela,"

Sage and I look at each other for a few seconds.

"Umm, who is Gisela?" I ask.

"Gisela is an old friend of mine, she will have space for us." Killian then unhooks Sunshine and leads her off the boat.

Sage gestures his arm out, "After you,"

I gently steer Griffin off the boat, my whole body glad to be back on stable ground once more.

"Thank you again!" I call out to Atherton who gives me a hearty smile in return.

Once off the docks, Sage catches up to me and we walk side by side, following our knight.

"Everybody is staring at us." I say quietly, feeling the burn of all the gazes upon our backs, villagers blatantly stopping to stare and look at us.

"Well, it is just as Atherton said, they haven't had visitors for a while, this must be exciting to them."

"You are quite right," I reply, remembering how curious Anne, Maud and I would be when newcomers entered the castle. It is exactly the same I suppose. So instead of feeling uncomfortable and avoiding the gazes, I smile back and in return they smile too.

I suddenly feel a lot better again.

Once out of the village centre, we walk in-between cottages, and other buildings until we finally come to a large building on the edge of the village. Doing a once over of the building I begin to question how much money the Gisela has or rather her family has.

Like all the other buildings of this mountain village, the walls are made of stone but unlike the others, it is much larger. Off to the side is what looks like a carefully built stable and behind that horses are grazing in a paddock.

Of course though, it makes sense. Killian is of noble blood so it is only fitting that he has connections who are of money.

Instead of leading us to the door, Killian brings us around to the stable and we go inside.

"Will Gisela be okay with us just leaving the horses here?" Sage asks once we have untacked the horses.

"Of course," Killian replies curtly, "grab your belongings and follow me,"

We follow him towards the door but before he can even knock, it flies open and a little old lady rushes out.

"Kai? Is that you? Oh I thought it was you! It has been so long!" She wraps her arms tight around his waist with a hug that looks like it is squeezing the living daylights out of him.

"Gisela...I...can't...breathe!" He gasps out.

She takes a step back and looks him up and down, taking in his tall figure that looks down at her with a smile. She then visibly takes a deep breath then starts talking again, "Serves you right young man! It has been so long since you last came through here! A disgraceful amount of time!"

Sage and I just stand there, looking on in wonder at the sight of a old lady, dressed in a beautiful dark red gown with greying hair pinned up in plaits, having a complete go at a knight.

"I'm sorry G, I have been doing my knightly duties!"

She narrows her eyes and tuts at him before finally catching sight of Sage and I standing behind Killian.

"And you brought companions this time," She walks up to us and just like with Killian and gives us a scrutinising head to toe look over where I can only stand stuck in place.

Finally Gisela marches back to Killian and crosses her arms, "You are travelling in the company of a women, this is new. Come inside and you can start talking."

She starts ushering us inside and I can only stumble inside shocked, how could she see through my disguise so easily?

We get taken into the kitchen and she seats us down at the table, then out of nowhere she magically places a platter of bread and cheese onto the table to which my stomach growls in response.

"Dig in love," Gisela pushes the food towards me and I blush. She then takes a seat across the table and turns her attention back to Killian whilst I start cutting the bread.

"So Kai please introduce me to your companions."

"This is Sage," Killian looks at me, "and Ell,"

"Lovely to meet you both, I of course am Gisela." She turns back to Killian, "How long are you planning to stay here with me Kai?"

"For a few days, the festival will be a welcome break from the travel we have done,"

Gisela takes a sip from her cup, "Well, as you know, my home will always be open to you so stay here as long as you wish."

"Thank you G."

"Now I have to ask, why on earth have you let a lady dress like this?" She gestures wildly at me, sloshing some water over the edge of her cup.

I choke on my mouthful of bread and manage to splutter out, "It is a long story."

Gisela sighs, "Well, I think it is time for us to clean you up and have you presenting yourself nicely. Underneath my roof a lady shall be dressed well."

"Are you sure? I am happy to stay like this," I try and tell her but she shushes me making me blush. I am not used to having had this much attention paid to my clothes.

"Then it is settled, this afternoon Ell shall stay here with you G, whilst Sage and I sort out some matters." Killian announces, pushing back his chair and standing up, Sage copying his actions.

"See you later Ell," Sage says before walking outside with Killian leaving me with Gisela.

Once the two men are outside with door shut, she gives me a wizened grin with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Now that the men are gone, the real fun begins." 

A/N:

Happy Friday everyone! 

Off first impressions do we like Gisela or nay? 

Vote and comment if you enjoyed!

SouthernAlps over and out...