Ch 25 - The Gleam

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

The next few weeks passed pleasantly enough. The party of Henry's alliances left with little more drama scoring their visit. Even so, Rosannah could not deny that waving the Lady Wilhelmina goodbye, had been her favourite interaction with the female.

Mama moved to the Dowager Cottage the day after they left, ignoring their arguments against the idea and proclaiming that she did not feel right living at the main house now that Henry had his own wife to be mistress of the manor. She confessed that she had been preparing the cottage for a fair few years, readying herself for the day Henry would marry and it was now ready. It was filled with things that she found beautiful and homely and once her chosen personal things went with her, it would be perfect.

She wanted to be the mistress of her own home, but promised she would still be a regular visitor. This was proven true, for with Theodore, Sophia and Wiston still at Amblethorpe, she came every day and occasionally slept overnight.

With her departure, Rosannah worried that her Papa would want to be the master of his own house as well - that he might become dissatisfied with living under another man's roof. But he had shown no such desire however, and she was mightily glad, for she needed his closeness. It soothed parts of her that Henry could not.

After the final confrontation with the baron and baroness, she finally gave up hope that they loved her underneath it all. The sad despair of which caught her off-guard, so she found herself seeking his presence more than before. So much so, that he had actually noticed her strange melancholy mood, despite being mired in his composing fog, and emerged from it long enough to hear the whole story and hold her as she cried.

Afterwards, each time she came to him, he would cast her a keen look to assess what she needed before either returning to the piano while she sat, just content to be in the same room, or leaving it and spending time with her, often taking a stroll or some refreshments.

On one particularly bad day, they played together, getting lost in the music and allowing her mind much relief. Twas amazing, but not repeated, for she did not like that it distracted him greatly, affecting his writing for days after.

All in all though, her visits were successful at lessening her ache, which was a good thing indeed for soon, Sir John and Lady Hannah would be arriving.

Their rooms had been prepared with love, she had found flowers to welcome them and made sure their every need could be met. Paper and ink in the desks, plenty of reading materials, and soft chaises to recline comfortably in solitude.

Rosannah found she liked the task of organising these things, the running of her own household was very different from the training she had received. It meant immensely more to her now, providing Henry with every comfort and representing him in the best possible way.

She enjoyed discussing items with Mrs W over tea and biscuits in the garden; enjoyed speaking with the maids as they went about their day, becoming more than a distant employer but someone who valued their work and dedication; she enjoyed the looks of shock lessening each time she complimented someone's work, from the cook to the gardener, nothing was out of her notice.

Mostly she enjoyed the pride and satisfaction of making their house, their home.

"I never get tired of this view," she said to Henry as she reclined against his side. They were up Huntsman's Hill, the tallest part of the estate, looking down at their lawns and house to the right, the lake stretching out before them, leading to the small thicket to the left. Everything was losing its glorious green colour, the heat coupled with little rain was sadly affecting the richness of life.