Sixteen - Sophie

Sophie couldn't believe she'd done it. She'd been so worried that Keefe would push her away, or even worse, not kiss her back. But he did—and it was the happiest moment of her life.

Keefe spun her around joyfully in his arms, his laugh laced with peace and love. He gently set her down and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, his smile vibrant and so very real. Sophie loved that.

After a moment he asked, "Do you know how long I've liked you?"

Her eyebrows rose, surprised. "Not long?"

He laughed. "You really are oblivious, aren't you?"

She blushed. "How long?"

"From the moment I met you."

Her breath hitched. "Seriously? But . . . Why?"

He laughed again, and her face turned a brighter shade of red. "Do I really have to tell you?"

"Um, yes?"

He let out a breath, taking her hand in his. "Because," he drew out, waiting for her eyes to meet his, "you're unique. You're special and talented and beautiful"—Sophie's breath caught—"but more than anything," he continued, "you were the first person to ever understand me. And that's why I love you."

Sophie felt a sob lodge in her throat, but pushed it down. She was tired of crying. Instead, she hugged Keefe tight, letting him feel all the wonderful emotions she felt for him. Because sometimes feelings were more important than words—and Keefe understood that better than anyone. His strong arms held her tightly, tenderly. She sank into his embrace and let the rest of the world fade away.

She knew she would always be safe in his arms.

  ~𝓤𝓷𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝓮𝓭

When dusk set in, a cold breeze blew across the valley, making Sophie shiver. She leaned against Keefe, taking comfort in his warmth.

After a long while of silence Keefe said, "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything," Sophie whispered.

"How long have you known . . ." He trailed off, his voice softly fading into the breeze.

"About Oralie?" Sophie finished, looking to him for confirmation. He nodded. "Not long. I only figured it out a little while before—before you . . ." It was her turn to trail off, not wanting to say the words out loud.

Keefe nodded again. He understood.

Another gust of wind blew and Sophie pulled her legs to her chest, shivering again. Keefe helped her to her feet. "Let's get you inside. I don't think Grady will be happy if I let you freeze."

Sophie's gaze dropped to the ground. She'd almost forgotten about her parents. "Yeah."

Keefe led her to the front door, one arm wrapped around her. As they neared the entrance he cautiously turned the doorknob. They walked inside, hoping to avoid Grady and Edaline.

They'd almost reached the staircase when Edaline spoke from behind them, making them jump. "You can . . . Touch her?" Her turquoise eyes were wide with fear, eyes fixed on Keefe's arm around Sophie.

Keefe cleared his throat. "Yeah, it's sorta a long story—"

Edaline's eyes softened as she cautiously reached out and hugged Keefe. Sophie's eyes watered as she smiled at the sight. When they pulled away Sophie asked, "Where's dad?"

Edaline's expression hardened the tiniest bit. "On an assignment from the council."

Sophie's pulse intensified. "What assignment?"

"I don't know," Edaline whispered, sounding worried.

Sophie sat on the bottom stair, trying to ease her headache that was quickly forming. Keefe sat beside her and gently rubbed her back.

A smile crept across Edaline's face.

Suddenly Sophie heard a ruckus coming from upstairs. She was running up the stairs before Edaline could blink, Keefe right behind her.

When she reached her bedroom door she found Flori, peeking into her room with a concerned expression.

"Flori? What's wrong?"

The gnome turned, surprised. Sophie couldn't believe she hadn't heard them running up the stairs.

Flori opened her mouth, but was cut off by two voices arguing in Sophie's room. Sophie and Keefe slipped past Calla's niece and into the expansive bedroom.

Sandor and Bo were standing at the end of Sophie's bed, yelling at each other loudly. "How did they get past us?" Sandor said at the same time Bo shouted, "This is your fault!"

They both abruptly stopped when Sophie and Keefe walked in. Sophie glanced at Sandor's hand. He was holding a small crystal.

It was cobalt blue.