19. Too Kind For Envy

"When are you gonna be back?" My eyes were lingering on his eyelashes as his lingered upon the screen of his phone.

  "Bit over a couple weeks," he responded, clicking the distraction off and finally looking over at me.

  "Will you be here for graduation?" After a highly regretted gap year and a change in my degree I was finally reaching the end of my college career. The road had been much longer than I'd have liked it to but now that it was coming to an end I began the internal panic of not knowing what the hell to do with my degree. I refused to go back after I left but I already knew I was never going to find a job that made me happy with my degree.

  Christian nodded and slid his phone into his pocket; I swear he touched that thing more than me. "Of course I will," he smiled and placed a hand on one of mine. His flight was called for boarding over the speakers. But we ignored it. "I couldn't miss that. No matter how badly this guy needs me." He was referring to his client in San Fransisco who he was going to draw up a new plan for. Apparently his wife didn't like Christian's original blueprints.

  "I'm gonna miss you so much," I said to him, holding his hand tight as we sat in the seats by the gate his flight was to board from.

  "I'm gonna miss you too," he said, running his thumb over my knuckles.

  "I can make time to drive up and see you?" I suggested.

  Christian shook his head, "don't do that. You're gonna be busy with college stuff. Just focus on you babe, I'll be fine."

  "...okay," I nodded, knowing but not saying that he was really just being polite about telling me he wanted to be given space whilst he was working. The chirpy voice of some unknown flight attendant rung over the speakers, once more calling for Christian and everyone else on his flight to line up at the gate for boarding.

  Reluctantly, we both stood up off the seats we'd been occupying for the last forty minutes, Christian slinging his carry on bag over his shoulder.

  "Be safe okay?" I said to him, cupping his face with my hands.

  Christian chuckled and put his hands on my waist, pulling me closer as everyone murmured around us to form into a lengthy line leading to the gate. "I'll message you when I land, will that make you happy?"

  "Yes," I smiled and brought his face to mine.

  "Try not to miss me too much," he smirked. "I love you."

  "I love you too," I whispered and kissed him hard one last time before letting him go. I waited until he'd walked through the gate and down the tube to the plane before I left. He didn't look back once. His attention on his phone but I couldn't blame him.

His flight was in the evening so I stopped by and picked up some takeout on my way home, nothing else eventful happening other than the phone call to my older brother Émilio, who was just checking up on me whilst telling me about his move to his new apartment and his elderly across the hall neighbour who kept leaving him baked goods by his door.

"She's lovely but she's a little crazy," he explained as I drove under the streetlights back to my house. "She has a plastic bird that's always on her shoulder that she talks to like it's alive. I think she might be putting mushrooms in the cakes she gives me so that she's not the only one hearing and seeing things."

"Oh my god Lio, don't say that," I laughed.

"No Orion, you don't understand, she's nice as hell but she's literally a crackhead," Émilio said, "or she's just gone crazy but she's literally come to my door at two in the morning to tell me to help her grind bird seed."