thirty

chapter thirty -  dark

Sirius was all that was on my mind as I made my way through the Great Hall. The train hadn't arrived yet, and I was one of the first Professors to sit down. 

Of course, Albus was already there, as was Minerva. 

I smiled at them as I took my seat. Rather quickly, I found myself wishing that Remus was sitting beside me again. It felt strange to know that I was sitting here, alone. That I was the only person from my school years in the castle. 

Well, that was technically wrong. As soon as he came through the Great Hall doors, I remembered that there is one other person from my school years in the castle. Granted, knowing that Severus Snape was here was not comforting. In fact, it was more upsetting. Given everything that happened at the end of last year, the moment I saw his face I wanted to throw something at him. 

It was entirely his fault that Remus was out of control that night. It was entirely his fault that I got as hurt as I was, and I hoped he felt guilty. 

Just the way that he walked down the center aisle made me want to roll my eyes. He always strutted like he was the most important person alive. Like he was the only one who mattered; like he was some hero. 

I wanted to curse him a hundred times. 

"Good evening, Severus."

"Albus," He nodded in response before his eyes drifted to me. Perhaps he had wanted to say something civil. Perhaps he had wanted to ask how my summer was. He had wanted to say something, I could see it on his face. Part of me hoped he'd say it, just so I could ignore him. It was probably a bit immature, but I really didn't care. Severus seemed to hesitate as he watched me, and I started to wonder why. He seemed conflicted, and as much as I hated him, I was more curious as to what was so important that he was conflicted about it. I tilted my head, furrowed my eyebrows, and hoped he would just say it, "I need to speak with you."

"Me?"

"Yes, Professor Black. You. Preferably before the students arrive," Severus seemed... almost distressed at that point. The longer that he stood in front of me, the more uncomfortable and on edge he seemed. I almost didn't notice how his arm was twitching. It was a slight movement, one that was undeniably caused by pain. For a moment, that didn't bother me at all. It seemed insignificant... at least until I realized it was his left arm. At that moment, his urgency seemed to click in my mind, "Please."

Severus Snape never said please. 

Now, Albus and Minerva were watching us. I wondered, briefly, why he wasn't urging Albus to go and talk to him. Surely, Albus could be of more assistance, right? 

"Alright," I finally gave in when his monotone expression began to break. As much as I wanted to curse him, something was wrong. If he was that desperate to talk to me about it, then it probably affected me. The last thing I wanted was to be unaware of something that could affect me, even if it meant I needed to talk to someone I hated. I stood, "My office is closer than yours."

He nodded, turned on his heels, and rushed out of the Great Hall. As I moved around the table, I glanced at Minerva and Albus with an eyebrow raised. Both of them shrugged, and I wished, at that moment, that my life was not a series of mysteries and riddles. 

Severus made it to my office long before I did. 

Part of that was because he was far more urgent about the situation than I was. The other part was that I simply did not care. Though, it was almost entirely the fact that I couldn't walk as fast as he did. Long strides bothered my back... and I have little legs.