Chapter 6

"Breaking news! A new villain has appeared, with them claiming to be Krystali! It's only a matter of time before Minte and Athena shows up, so stay tuned!"

Minte and Athena. The two core heroes of their world. Minte, with the power to purify an akuma, and his partner, Athena, with the power to destroy all.

Sometimes, Petir thought, it would be nice to have powers like those.

Instead, all he got was a useless power.

One that he would never use.

Around him, his class descended into utter chaos, shrieks of amazement, fear, and excitement filling the entire building, and perhaps reaching beyond.

The teacher in front tried to calm his students down, only to soon realize that it was an impossible task. Many of them have already evacuated the building, most in hopes that they would meet their favourite hero, or were just afraid of death.

Within seconds, the class was clear, and even the teacher had to leave due to protocol. It was the first ever rule of the school. If an attack happens near, evacuate the school. So Petir was left alone in class, sitting at the very back, barely paying attention to the alarms ringing.

No one noticed him, either.

"Now's your chance, kid!" Hali flew out from his bag, buzzing in excitement around his face. "No one's looking! It's your time to shine!"

"Not happening." Petir glared at him, arms crossed. Outside, an endless sea of students whizzed pass, but none stopped to look at the interaction he shared with his kwami. "Get in the bag. I don't care if I die in this. I'm not transforming or helping anyone."

"What?" Hali demanded, leering so close to him that Petir turned cross-eyed. "You've been running for so long, and that's what your power is! Are you trying to play the wild card or some last-minute hero to a fight scene or whatever?"

"I'm not trying to play anything," Petir hissed, pushing the kwami away. "As I said, if you want to play the hero so much, then go! Find someone else!"

Hali's small figure tensed. Suddenly, Petir felt a piercing pain on his palm, which he retracted out of shock. He studied his hand, which a small, red ring mark could be seen below his pinkie finger.

"Don't wild animals have rabies?" he muttered, irritation clear on his face.

He crossed his arms and leaned on the wall, closing his eyes. He blocked out any complaints from his kwami, and finally the thing crawled back into his bag, and zipped himself back inside.

Petir heaved a sigh as he heard the zip closing. Finally, some peace and quiet.

But a figure burst through the front door, surprising Petir. He almost fell off his seat in shock.

"Petir!" Tanah shouted, storming to him. "Why are you still here? There's an attack happening outside!"

"It's outside?" Petir glanced at the windows. Sure enough, there was a maniacal figure jumping from streetlamp to streetlamp, cackling wildly. There were no heroes on the scene. "Oh."

Wherever the villain stood on a lamp, it turned to a statue of orange crystals, inside and out. Half the area was already translucent and crystallized.

Wonder if it affects living beings.

"Come on! It's too dangerous here." Tanah grabbed Petir's wrist, pulling him to his feet. "Let's go meet up with the others."

Petir blinked, staring at Tanah's worried expression.

It intrigued him. Tanah never showed his worry to anyone. That was how their school star acted in front of everyone else. But apparently, not to him.

"There's no danger," Petir argued, but still shouldered his bag anyway. He walked out, but Tanah put his hand on his shoulder.

"Put your bag here. It'll just weigh you down if you ever need to run."

Petir could feel Hali ramming his tiny body to Petir's back, protesting.

"I'll manage," he said.

Tanah was grabbing his bag strap now. "I'm serious! What if you get hurt? It just slows you down!"

Petir held his ground, though veins protruded on both their wrists, battling for the custody of the bag.

"What is wrong with you?" Petir demanded, prying Tanah's hand away. Tanah seemed surprised at this. "I'll manage! You have to go before the teachers look for you."

This time, when he walked out, there were no interruptions.

In the deserted hallway, he could only hear the faint echo of the crowd outside, and Tanah's footsteps.

Then they stopped.

When Petir turned around, Tanah was gone.

Hm, strange.

In Petir's bag, Hali shrunk into the darkest corner he could fine. He couldn't help his body shaking, but the question still persisted.

That boy has a kwami.

He could feel in his core.