Chapter 24

"Mind telling me what happened?" Cahaya glanced at Petir, who said nothing as he stared lifelessly ahead.

They were sitting on the floor, backs leaning on the wall. They were at the entrance of school, where they sat under the school's roof and they could see the gates.

Petir drew a breath, but it was still shaky.

"Hey," Cahaya continued, trying to sound sympathetic and gentle. "Whatever happened to you... just know that you can talk to me, alright?"

That earned a weak chuckle from the other.

"You sound so sappy," Petir joked, smiling feebly.

"I'm still serious about it."

Petir crossed his legs. "I know."

Silence.

Then, "Is this why you left?"

Petir turned to him, but Cahaya didn't meet his gaze. "Hm?"

"Answer me."

Petir turned back to face his front. Of course. He's seen him at this state.

"Well, my mom died."

This time, it was Cahaya's turn to look at him. There wasn't surprise, but there was shock.

"And my dad ran away with her medical insurance," Petir continued, telling the tale in short like someone else's story. "Then he broke my legs in public when I tried to visit her."

The image was vivid. Too vivid for his liking.

He remembered the day in the streets, where Petir snuck out from his room window. His father had found him, and stepped on his legs until he heard his bones breaking and shattering.

By the time the cops were called, his legs were a mess. The bruises, the red seeping under the skin was still on him, even if they weren't.

"He got a life sentence," Petir hummed. "But he broke out."

Cahaya looked down to the floor, taking time to comprehend this.

"And where is he now?"

Petir turned to him, his eyes speaking volumes.

Cahaya's eyes widened, and his teeth gritted.

"Have you called authorities?"

"No. He destroyed all of my electronics, which was why you couldn't contact me."

"Can't you lend someone else's?"

"If he so much as hears the police, he'll threaten to burn the house down." Petir uncrossed his legs and hugged his knees, burying his face into them.

"But-"

Petir's grip around his legs tightened.

Cahaya had no words.

Petir's mother is a famous CEO from a local company. She'd make millions per year, which was one of the reasons why she sent Petir to Celestium Academy in the first place. She was famous for her boldness and transparency, but it her death was unexplained.

To die from a treatable heart disease?

It made no sense.

It could also explain why Petir withdrew from Celestium Academy. Its fees, he realized. His father must have taken his Education insurance too.

"Is there anything I can do?" Cahaya asked.

He couldn't help at all, not even as Athena.

He was powerless.

Petir shook his head. "I don't know," he muttered. He was defeated. "It was nice to see you again, though."

He looked up, and turned to Cahaya. "Do you see me differently now?" His expression was pained. "Now that you know I'm messed up? That I'm not the same person that fought with you every class?"

Cahaya shook his head. He held Petir's hand, both hands gripping his cold and clammy one.

"You're still my best friend," he told him. "That stupid, arrogant, airheaded, stubborn, blind, grass-for-brains-"

Petir burst into laughter, bringing his hand up to Cahaya's too. There were tears in his eyes, but one of joy and relief.

"And you're still a walking sandbox," Petir retorted through choppy laughter. "Dense and filled with whatever children use it as."

Cahaya blinked, then chortled with him too.

For a moment, they'd forgotten what troubled them, what haunted them for so long.

Then, as the bell rang, Cahaya looked into Petir's eyes, and nodded at him.

"Don't worry," he said firmly. "I'll do whatever it takes to save you from this hellhole."

Petir snorted. "Can you?" he snarked. "More like make a dramatic entrance with an offer to Disneyland."

Cahaya grinned. "Watch me. Then you'll owe me big time, and I'll make you my dog for the rest of your life!"

Petir rolled his eyes and glared, but said nothing.

Maybe...

Petir sighed. He's mental.

Maybe Cahaya really meant it.