Chapter 25

"Hali?" Petir dug into his bag, wary of others looking into the classroom to see him talking to himself. "Hali? You there?"

Petir reached into his books, pushing past his stationery, but there was no sign of the kwami.

"Damn him," he growled. He'll come back later.

Just as he shouldered his bag, he felt a tap on his shoulder. Petir tensed and froze in his spot, as he was certain that there wasn't anyone else in the class but him.

He turned to see Halilintar, hovering and grinning at him like a dork.

"Where were you?" Petir demanded. "I haven't seen you since last week!"

Hali shrugged. "Just here and there." He flew into Petir's bag and snuggled between his books. "Hm. Go do whatever you're about to do."

Petir muttered incoherent curses under his breath. Something like, parasitic insect, or damn freeloader, but he mostly kept to himself.

Fortunately, Cahaya and his partner were summoned to the principal's office to discuss whatever. If he were here, he would call him crazy. The only thing he had to do was wait for him outside school, which he could do.

However, when he stepped out of the classroom, a figure stood in his path. He was a head taller than Petir, but Tanah's emotionless expression caught him off guard.

"Tanah?" Petir quizzed. "Aren't you supposed to go home by now?"

"That can wait," he said. Beside him, his fists tightened.

For some reason, Petir had the urge to run. He gripped his bag in alarm.

Petir took a step back. "What do you want?"

Something was wrong. This didn't feel like the Tanah he knew.

"I just want to talk."

Petir observed his behaviour. His expression was definitely not natural.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Tanah took a step forward. Without warning, he wrapped his fingers around Petir's wrist and held it between them. "Just how I've been feeling ever since I saw you."

Petir couldn't answer. He couldn't find the voice to speak, but it wasn't because of any powers stopping him. It was only himself, yet he couldn't overcome the barrier set by his own mind.

He glanced at his wrist, held by Tanah. It would be so easy to take it back, to overpower Tanah and leave. Even if he'd stopped training competitively, Tanah was a person who'd never trained to enhance his own physical strength for the sake of it.

But somehow, he couldn't find the reason to.

"You made me feel something that I never had before," Tanah started, eyes fixated on him. His voice was too monotonous, too dull. Every fibre in Petir's body screamed danger. "And only now I realized what that was."

What?

"I like you, Petir," Tanah spat. "More than just a friend."

What...?

"What?" Petir spluttered. "You can't-"

Tanah didn't let him finish. "I know you're already with Cahaya." He looked away. "And to think I would love someone who came from Celestium Academy..."

Tanah's grip around Petir's grip tightened. Rage prickled in his words. "It's my fault."

Petir gritted his teeth. Now, he saw the dark gleam in his eyes. The strength that Tanah suddenly had was abnormal. He could tell by Tanah's lax figure, who barely expended the strength to bruise his wrist.

Even without training, Petir wasn't supposed to be easily wounded.

"Gempa," Tanah's voice whispered, "Shield Rise."

Petir watched in horror as a glow formed around Tanah's body, taking away his clothes and replacing them with a familiar hero's. Only they were inverted; black and purple instead of gold.

"So I'm going to fix my mistake." Terre raised Petir's arm, and he felt his feet lift from the ground. "It'll be like you never came."

Akumatized.

A Miraculous Holder akumatized.