Destruction

Katherine was sitting on a raised platform, her head between her hands as Jace tried to calm Clary down ''Clary, we can't panic.''

''He's a psychopath, he's capable of anything...Simon's innocent in all of this.'' Katherine sighed softly and walked over to where the two were standing ''The only reason Valentine took him captive is because I care about him....'' Jace's eyes went to the older girl and he suddenly remembered someone ''You should call Alec, he must be out of his mind.''

''I would if I could.'' Katherine pulled her phone out of her pocket and showed him the low battery sign  that she had already looked at for the tenth time ''It's dead.''

Jace sighed as Luke approached the three ''Hey, all the prisoners are either dead or gone...'' he looked between them ''No sign of Cleophas.'' Clary had a vulnerable look on her face  and Katherine patted her arm in comfort as Jace pulled her in his chest ''Hey, it's gonna be okay.''

Katherine was playing with her charm absentmindedly when Clary's phone rang and she pulled herself out of Jace's embrace to pull her phone out.

Katherine looked at the younger girl's phone to see Simon calling her and her eyes narrowed ''Answer it, Clare.'' Clary looked at Luke for confirmation who nodded his head ''Answer it, Kate's right.''

She swiped her thumb over the green button and Katherine's eyes widened as she saw Simon being tied to a chair, his mouth duct taped and he struggled before another face popped up in the camera. She scowled '' Valentine.''

''No.''

The man smiled at the two ''Hello, Clarissa, Katherine...wish we're chatting under civilized circumstances ...but I am afraid I've run out of options.'' ''Let Simon go.'' Clary demanded but Katherine knew that wouldn't be so easy and she was proven right ''Absolutely...just as soon as  both of you come back to the Institute. I need you two to activate the Soul Sword for me.''

Katherine glared at the man ''Yeah, that's not gonna happen.''

Valentine again smiled at her ''Oh but I think it will...because if you don't show up within the hour...your sister's vampire boyfriend here is gonna die a death I wouldn't wish upon anyone...Oh and I have something to tell you, Katherine.''

She shared a look with Jace before looking back at the phone in Clary's hand ''What?''

''Your twin....he's alive.'' Katherine stiffened and  shook the hope that had flickered at his words ''No, you're lying.'' he had to be, he was after all the master of lies and manipulation.

Valentine smirked ''That's for you to decide.''

Katherine clenched her fists as he ended the call and  Clary moved forwards but Luke stopped her as Jace motioned for Katherine  to come with him.

''Who are you calling?'' she crossed her arms across her chest as Jace placed his phone on his ear ''Alec...but he isn't picking up.'' her throat went dry at the information ''What do you mean he isn't picking up?'' he looked at her and saw the look of raw worry on her face ''He's fine, Kate..just not answering his phone.''

Katherine sighed and walked back to where Luke and Clary where with Jace behind her. ''Alec's not picking up...let's move.''

''Valentine is gonna wish he never laid a hand on Simon, I'll make sure of it.'' Katherine grabbed Clary's arm as she started to walk and pulled her back '' Slow down, okay? You can't.'' she gave kept her gaze on the younger girl as an idea popped in her head ''But I can.''

Jace had already calculated her moved and wrapped his arms around Katherine's waist when she tried to duck away ''Kate, calm down.''

''Neither of you are going anywhere  near that Institute.'' Luke looked between the two girls ''Alec's there and I can save Simon, just....'' she struggled against Jace's grip but his arms just  tightened around her ''Alec will be fine, Kate...and you can't save Simon. Not without surrendering yourself.''