Chapter 22 - Eleventh Floor

Elena's POV

I stood there dressed in a simple white, high waisted, casual style polyester dress with a V neck, a V-cut back, and shoulder tie straps. I watched as he pressed the 11th-floor elevator button, my hands feeling a little clammy as I thought of what I was about to walk into.

When Angelo mentioned showing me this floor, my curiosity sprung into immediate action like the typical kid in a candy store. My mind has played all sorts of ideas as to what this floor holds and now that it's finally being revealed to me, my nerves are taking over.

The elevator came to a halt and the doors began opening. It felt like everything was going a little too slow for my liking. The first thing I noticed was the immaculate sunlight filtering through, shining across my face as it entered the room from the same floor to ceiling type windows as his penthouse. My eyes scanned the area quickly, noticing a simple silver blue velvet Colford couch with the standard Chesterfield buttoned look.

I took a step and walked into the foyer, half the size of his upstairs, noticing a simplistic peninsula styled kitchen to my left. Directly opposite, on the other side of me, was a short corridor, two paralleled doors within view towards the end. One was open while the other stood shut.

"It looks like a much smaller, but just as obsessively perfect, version of your apartment..." I noted, taking a few more steps forward.

I could hear the slight disappointment in my voice, so, he must have definitely perceived it. I don't know what I was expecting, to be honest. But none of my hypothetical scenarios, in this running wild head of mine, held a plain bachelor type apartment in it.

"You almost sound disappointed." He commented, his body stopping beside me as he casually glanced at my face with an amused expression.

"What? No!" I answered sharply, a little too quickly and an octave higher as all my emotions began faltering. Between the nerves, the excitement, the disappointment, and the eager anxiety, I was a complete mess. I cleared my throat before replying in a calmer tone.

"No, not at all." I diverted my eyes from him, making my way towards the window and changing the conversation. "This view is just as amazing as yours, although smaller."

"What were you expecting to find, Amore (love)?" He pressed further. What is going on inside his head, right now?

I could sense his body close to mine, glancing up and noticing him directly behind me in the reflection of the window.

"Uh, nothing." I shrugged my shoulders quickly, biting my bottom lip as I shuffled along the length of his window and drawing some space between us.

He let out an unconvinced hum before gently grabbing my hand and pulling me along with him towards the corridor. He was silent, his face void of emotion unlike a couple of seconds ago. He stopped at the closed door and let go of me. The intrusive ways about me overtook and I found myself taking a quick peep through the open door on the opposite side, noticing a plush bed with modest bedding and the same Chesterfield buttoned headboard. My attention got pulled in the other direction the second I heard the click of a lock and the creak of the door as he swung it open.

It was dark but not for long. He flicked a tiny switch, brightening up the room just enough to observe the interiors. The lighting was dim with a red and orange hue emanating from the Shadowline ceiling, illuminating down the dark walls.

I took a step closer to the entrance, a rich exotic wooden scent with a tinge of floral smells exhilarating my senses. There was another smell accompanying it which I couldn't quite pinpoint its origin.