Prom?

Thalia's POV

Vici placed her arms around me, pulling me close to her and leaning to whisper in my ear,

"It'll all be an okay sweetheart... She'll love it." I nodded, my brain still filled with a constant flow of nerves. They just didn't seem to stop, on and on, wracking my body with so much sweat you could have filled a bathtub. I breathed out the carbon dioxide that has accumulated in my lungs, letting the worry drift out alongside it, waiting for the foreboding chime of the doorbell. Was I being a little dramatic- probably, yes. But this was the girl I loved and I wanted this to be perfect- just like she was.

"Thanks, Vici..." I murmured softly as I lifted myself reluctantly from the kitchen stool. At that moment a small boy came running up to me, wrapping his arms around my legs.

"Gotcha," He said, looking up at me with glimmering eyes. I scruffed his hair lightly and he looked at me in distaste, "Don't do that." He said sternly, narrowing his eyes. I smiled slightly and apologized before lifting him up onto one of the kitchen stools.

"Okay, what's today's topic?" I said brightly and the boy furrowed his brow in thought before smiling again.

"Evolution!" He exclaimed, "I'll start... Natural selection was a theory first developed by Charles Darwin." He said all this while eating the cereal that his mother had prepared for him.

"My go... um..." I thought back to all of the science lessons I'd had concerning evolution, picking an obscure fact I'd learned most likely by chance, "Humans actually grow tails in the womb at around four weeks which then dissolve around six to twelve weeks." The boy placed another spoonful of the cereal in his mouth before answering,

"Good one." He stared at the wall for a moment before the chime of the doorbell signified the end of our interaction. At this, Andrew walked into the room, pressing a light kiss to his wife's cheek and turning to me. I was rooted to the spot, frozen by the nerves that had previously been forgotten for but a second during my talk with Holland.

"Are you going to get it?" I snapped out of my trance as Andrew spoke and ran my fingers across the kitchen top. The doorbell chimed again. Andrew tilted his head towards the door; I took a deep breath a walked across the living room to open it.

"Hey!" A vibrant voice filled my ears.

"Hi, Mel..." I muttered softly, pulling the door further open.

"Hi, Mr and Mrs Miller!" Melody exclaimed, peering past the doorway.

"Hi love," Victoria greeted my girlfriend from the kitchen where she was putting something in the toaster.

"Hello, Melody..." Holland stated bitterly. He hated that Mel had more of my time than he did but I had explained to him, about a week after I had introduced her, how special she was to me and he seemed to understand. The moment after I told him this, he stated in his most austere tone that he approved of her and that I was allowed to continue dating her.

I had told my new foster family about my girlfriend around a month after I had first moved in, mostly scared of rejection. However, it turned out the complete opposite: they were incredibly accepting and told me that they cared for me nonetheless which was a complete juxtaposition to the situation I had previously been in. I still hadn't seen my mother in a while and to be completely honest, I wasn't sure I wanted to. I was scared that it might ruin the life I'd built these last four months.

"Shall we go? I need to return some books this morning," Melody exclaimed with a cheerful grin which I tried to reciprocate. Melody frowned a little and I asked her what was wrong but she responded with a prompt 'nothing' and gave me a quick kiss.