Chapter 118

Lady K

"I was always wondering when you were going to visit, good thing your wife always did every week to change the flowers, although it had been a while since she stopped by. It's really good to see you finally came. I'm sure she'd be happy to see you too."

Christian let out a weak exhale as he bent over to the gravestone and slowly dropped his bouquet of flowers in front of it, the words of the sexton still clear in his head.

"Forever in our hearts; Veronica Ozor, loving wife and mother."

He could still remember the exact words engraved on her tombstone. How could he ever forget? He made sure to always remember. After his mother was laid to rest, Christian never came to visit for a day. That was the only reason he was able to fight so hard to be where he was. He was going to get revenge for her. To take the company she had worked so hard and sacrificed so much for from his father and come show her the next time he visited. Too bad he was never going to be able to do that, the past few weeks had made him realize a lot of things.

He watched his life rise, fall, become empty and meaningless all in a span of a few weeks, and there it came, at the brink of everything; hope. He was finally finding it possible to live again and this time, he was going to do the right thing. He was going to live right. He was going to forget about everything else, all that hate, revenge, all that sadness, he was going to forget all of it, that was why he was here, to pay his last respects to her. He was finally ready to let her go, ready to let his past go and move on. He wanted to live again. To live for himself again.

He drew a deep breath and rubbed his hands, he could feel the cool breeze on his face. Graveyards weren't really his thing, it gave him the chill. Everywhere felt so empty. Was that how it was for Natalie every time she came?

He didn't even know she still paid weekly visits to his mother. He remembered how she had talked him into going with her the first three weeks into their marriage and how he always turned her down every time. It felt really sad to see that she never stopped. She never stopped no matter how much he discouraged her to. Natalie was a part of him, the best part of him and he didn't see it up until the moment she left. Even with all that anger between them, she was the one that always pushed him to be a better version of himself. He couldn't believe he threw that away. I guess the old saying was right after all, you never really know the good in what you have until you lose it. Losing the company and losing Natalie taught him that.

Christian exhaled and slowly went on his knees.

"It's me Mum." He had his eyes on the tombstone, and his hand laid on his thighs. "It's your son. I've finally come to see you, although I'm late and without any gifts." He let himself smile a little bit. Fancy him talking to a grave. "Forgive me for coming just now, forgive me for being such an unfilial son." His voice broke as he felt a rush of sadness in his heart, his eyes became so glossy from all the tears that hung in them. He sniffed and then let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"I tried Mum." He said, trying to stop his voice from breaking so much. He was holding back a lot of pain and hurt in his voice. "I did all I could, I wanted to live for you, I wanted to do everything for you, I was going to get that company back from Dad, be CEO." He chuckled as a tiny scoff escaped from his lips.

"Everyone moved on the moment you died and it made me so mad. They were so quick to forget, to forget you, to forget all your sacrifices and how big your heart was. I was so upset, upset that they all moved on and I couldn't. You were too good for all of us, for all of them and I wanted to keep your memory forever. I was going to become CEO and dedicate the company to you but I became so engulfed in my hatred and anger that I let it get the best out of me. I pushed everyone that mattered to me away. I lost the company and everything else and now, I'm just...lonely. There's no one left, there's nothing left for me anymore." He sniffed and then managed to brighten his face again.