˗ˋ 05

CHAPTER FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE QUESTIONS HER SELF WORTH

. . .

The feast seemed to pass quickly after Tiger focused on eating rather than talking and worrying about anyone else. Of course, she answered the odd question and chimed in with some reply every now and again, but it was mostly spent with the others filling in the silence.

There did end up being treacle tarts, which gave James the chance to see Tiger smile once again, and just moments into seeing it, found himself mirroring it. "Why do you like treacle tarts so much?"

"That's the most personal question you've asked me to date. And the most thought provoking." Tiger finished her first treacle tart, reaching for another and placing it on her plate. But before she ate, she rested her head on her palms and looked over at James. "I don't know."

James chuckled, watching as she took the first bite of the second. "Well we didn't have them at Ilvermorny or at home and Auntie Hope would make me some that I would eat whilst hiding in the pantry because my mum doesn't like me eating dessert too much."

"So you eat as many as you can whilst you're here?" James continued, as Tiger swallowed the rest of the tart, leaning on her elbows, and pushing her plate slightly away, giving her more room on the table.

"I definitely used to. But now I need to restrain myself because now I'm here full time." Tiger smiled once again. "And you have Hogsmeade right?"

James nodded, and just as he was about to reply - something about he could go there any time - a hush fell over the entire hall. Everyone turned to look to the front of the hall, where someone who Tiger knew to be Professor Dumbledore stood.

"I hope every has been well fed and watered." The man said, and when Tiger glanced at the table, she saw it to be just as empty as it was before the feast started. She looked back over to the man, who, no matter how far away he was to her, had a strangely comforting look on his face and a twinkle in his eye.

"Just a few more words before you are free to do as you please. Can all first years note that the Forbidden Forrest is out of bounds - as some of our older students would like remember also." Dumbledore paused for a moment, and not a single person uttered a noise, everyone hanging onto the end of his every word.

"Mr Filch has asked me to remind you all that no magic should be used in the corridors between classes. Quidditch Trials should be taking place in two weeks time, anyone wishing to tryout please talk to Madame Hooch or your House captain." Dumbledore said, and Tiger glanced back at James, who had a proud smile on his face.

"And before we go to bed, let us sing the school song." Dumbledore announced, and everyone cheered. Golden words formed a the end of each table. "Everyone pick your favourite tune, and off we go!"

The entire hall burst into song, different speeds and tunes mixed in a almost unpleasant sounding way. The four boys who Tiger was sat next to bellowed out the words, as if they had practised it before, and she found herself laughing and joining in with them.

When everyone finally finished, Dumbledore said a few more words, before it was time for everyone to go up to bed. Tiger decided it was probably best for her to stick with James, Peter and Remus, rather than Lily and Lydia (who she was probably going to be sharing a room with), and so she held on to a tiny piece of material from James's robes, as they made their way out of the hall.

Marlene and Sirius had disappeared off somewhere, and despite Tiger choosing the three boys over the girls, they still ended up walking together up the stairs. Tiger was chatting away to James, who had began to feel a little awkward next to Lily. She had noticed quickly how the boy seemed a little more tense than usual, and decided to try and lighten the mood up, maybe make him a little more comfortable.

Lily and Lydia disappeared up one of the two staircases, which Tiger assumed led up to the dorms. But rather than following them, Tiger slumped down on one of the scarlett sofas in front of the fire, next to James. Remus and Peter had gone up to the dorm to unpack, promising to return with a few items from Peter's sweet stash.

"Do you think they like me?" She asked, her eyes focused on the orange flames. "They don't have to.. of course it's their choice whether they do or not. Maybe I'm just not their type of person, which isn't uncommon."

"Why?" James asked looking over at Tiger, her face illuminated by the fire. "And I don't see why they shouldn't like you."

"People don't always take to me as well as you do. I can be loud, somewhat invasive, overly excited by random things." Tiger counted the points on her fingers. "That's just to name a few. Besides, they've known each other since the beginning right? Would you like a random person to waltz into your life without any warning and just expect you to be friends with them. It's not compulsary to be friends with whoever you dorm with."

James almost protested against what she was saying about herself, but then stopped, closing his mouth and thinking about what to say. "I don't think.. I don't think you should judge yourself on what others think of you. That's just a couple peoples' opinion. If you do think that you're loud and get excited by random things, then it's nothing bad."

Tiger curled up into a ball, her knees touching her chest and her back pressed against the sofa cushions. She looked over at James, her head tilted. "But first impression matter right? And if that's what people think of me from meeting me once, then it paints a bad picture of me."

"My first impression of you was nothing like that. And really, first impressions are shit. You can't meet someone for a few minutes and be able to make a judgement on it." James said and Tiger laughed, which was like music to James's ears.

"What was your first impression of me?" She asked, head tilted. "Oh." Tiger said, a few moments later. "See what I mean, overly invasive."

"Tiger, I mean this is the nicest way possible, but shut the fuck up." James said and Tiger looked back to the fire. "How is that overly invasive. I mentioned something and you continued to ask about it."

The corners of her lips quirked up. "Fine. But do you think they like me or not. I just.. I don't want to seem as if I'm forcing myself down their throats or anything."

"I can't tell you what someone else is thinking. And remember, second impressions mean more than the first. And with your first one being in the hall where you can barely hear yourself think. Don't be so quick to assume. I can't imagine anyone having a bad impression of you. I just think you've met some horrible people." James shrugged.

He looked over to Tiger to see her reaction, expecting to see her staring at the fire, with a smile slowly blooming on her face. But as he did so, he felt Tiger hug him, her arms around his torso and head pressed against his chest for just a moment.

Then she stood up, looking down at him with a smile. "Thank you Prongsie. I'll see you tomorrow?" She said, and James could only nod in confirmation. He was somewhat dazed by her actions, and could only really smile. "Night night." She said, walking away from him and repeating the words to Remus, who had just descended the stairs from the boys dorm.