Something is Wrong

Author's Note: Sharing some beautiful art of Ridley in his flower crown for this week's fanart

Author's Note: Sharing some beautiful art of Ridley in his flower crown for this week's fanart. Thank you to @it_is._.what._.it_is  on IG for this amazing piece.  Ridley looks absolutely adorable here!

Annette

"Something's wrong...something is definitely wrong..." Ridley had been mumbling that phrase for the last five minutes, pacing aimlessly around the small interior of the weapon filled cottage I had been stuck in for the past week.

"Maybe he just got caught up with something in the demon kingdom. This is the prince of darkness we're talking about here. Being late or blowing you off is probably the lowest offence on his list of misdeeds."

"It's been two days past when we were supposed to meet. He hasn't even attempted to contact me using magic. We need to find James Andrews soon, the longer we wait the tighter Stephan's grip on the throne becomes."

"Then go without him."

My words seemed to stop Ridley in his tracks. Slowly the knight turned to look at me. "I can't."

"Why not? Even with Vandel involved, this is still a plan orchestrated by the demon queen to put my brother in power. There's no reason you have to find this man with the demon prince."

Ridley had paled, his expression unreadable. "But he's smart...he notices things I don't..."

"You're just hunting down one man Ridley. You're the pride and joy of our kingdom, you can handle this alone."

"But I don't want to be al...." he stopped himself. The words catching in his throat. Slowly the knight hung his head. "But I supposed you're right. It's selfish of me to want. I should...I should do what I've always done. I should do what's best for the kingdom. I should..."

And then suddenly it all clicked. I realized why instead of already being out there hunting for James Andrews Ridley had come here to speak with me.

"You came to me so I would stop you, right Ridley?"

Ridley's eyes grew wide. "Huh?"

"You want to find Vandel. That's why you came here. So there'd be someone to tell you not to do it. Someone to tell you to stick to your duty instead of running back to the demon kingdom."

Ridley quickly averted his gaze from mine, his silence the only answer I needed.

I sighed heavily. "Well your instincts were right. You can't go to him Ridley. The kingdom needs you."

"But what if he's hurt...or in danger..."

"He'll be fine. He can look after himself."

Ridley's fingers moved to something around his throat, pulling it out from under his shirt. A gold chain with something hanging on it. Was that...a ring?