0. SNITCHES GET STITCHES

00 : snitches get stitches

first person.
VALERIE

ALL I EVER WANTED was to be seen as beautiful. But a face like mine can't ever shine in a world where beauty is regarded as divine. There's a saying in this world, act the way you look. But if I acted the way I looked; would I be classed as a villain? My face, does it define the life I live?

I glance hopelessly at the countless makeup products spread out across my vanity. In this world, liars live luxuriously as those who tell the truth live a tiresome life. I don't want to live a tiresome life, but I don't want to live my life in regret either. However, if I wanted to survive in this society, all it takes is a couple of white lies.

"You look different," the sound of my younger brother's voice causes me to jump. He takes a step forward, scrutinising my face with curiosity. "Makeup?" the words leave his mouth with surprise evident in his tone. Chandler was never a fan of makeup, he hated it, because it was what our mother liked the most. In all his sixteen years of living, the boy has never seen me with a spec of makeup.

"It's just a little," he laughs at my words before jumping on to my bed with a loud thump.

"Crayola," he mutters, spreading his large body on my bed.

I glare at him. "What are you trying to say?"

He stares at me blankly. "You look like a catfish, but nobody would be able to tell because it looks so natural," he mumbles, a frown appearing on his face. "It's scary how much it can change a person but it's not my business because everyone is free to do whatever they want." his words cause me to smile. Chandler was raised to be an accepting kid with good manners, although his jokes can be a little insulting - he has a good heart.

"That's the whole point. I don't want to look like myself."

"You do look better, but it doesn't mean you look bad without it," Chandler says, rubbing his nape awkwardly. "People need to understand that they're all perfect in some way, pushing yourself down is uncalled for." he jumps off my bed, leaving me alone to reflect upon his words.