3: Nanny 'Cissa

-August 30 1991-
"Where are you off to, my love?" Lucius asked, giving her a soft kiss in greeting. He had been sitting at the breakfast table looking over paperwork when Narcissa walked in, dressed to impress and preparing to floo away.

"The Dark Lord is off to attend some business today," she responded. Lucius nodded, clearly aware that he was. Narcissa nodded at him. It wasn't unusual for Lucius to be called out on a raid. Though the war was long over, the battles still continued. "He has kindly asked me to watch over Little One while he is away."

Lucius raised an eyebrow. "Kindly?"

"Indeed," Narcissa replied coolly. "It is not the first time that I have watched over the little angel. I do not mind in the slightest."

"Will I be receiving a tulip today?" Lucius deadpanned, returning his disinterested gaze to the stack of papers resting on the table. Narcissa fought back a smirk. As much as he may deny it, she knew that Lucius enjoyed Little One's strange tendencies just as much as everyone else did.

"I'll be sure to tell him you say hello." Narcissa said with a fond smile. Lucius merely snorted elegantly and returned his attention to the paperwork. "I will see you later tonight, husband."

Lucius smiled at her. "Have fun, my love."

Narcissa nodded before she grabbed the floo powder from her mantle. "Dark Lord's Castle." she said, stepping into the green fire with grace. She stepped out into the greeting hall of her Lord's castle and was greeted with the sight of the Dark Lord barking orders to his Death Eaters, a familiar Inferius hitched on his hip. Narcissa fought to keep a fond smile off her face at the sight.

When the Dark Lord dismissed his followers, he turned to greet her with a cool stare. Narcissa bowed deeply, a respectful, "My Lord." escaping her lips. The Dark Lord tipped his head slightly and Narcissa stood. Narcissa watched as Little One squirmed in the Dark Lord's arms. He looked at Little One with eyes filled with fondness. He hissed something is parseltongue at the child (Narcissa bit back a flinch at the language) and set the boy onto the ground. Little One grinned up at the Dark Lord before he ran over to Narcissa, pulling out a daisy to hand to her when he reached her outstretched arms.

"Hello Little One," Narcissa said, bending her head so Little One could stick the daisy behind her ear. "It's nice to see you. Lucius misses you, you know."

Little One tilted his head, reminding Narcissa of a confused puppy, before his Avada eyes lit up in realization. As Narcissa shifted her weight so that she could carry Little One on her hip, Little One reached into his bag to pull out another tulip. Narcissa grinned, and promised to give it to Lucius.

"I will return by nightfall." a cold voice called, forcing Narcissa to tear her eyes from the adorable toddler hitched around her waist. The Dark Lord was staring at Narcissa with an odd look on his face---one Narcissa dared not decipher. She merely nodded, instead, choosing to boy one last time. Little One waved at the Dark Lord, a wide smile decorating his face. The Dark Lord's cold, crimson eyes softened for a second as they looked at the Inferius. Just as quickly, the emotion vanished, and the cool indifferent mask returned. His gaze snapped back to Narcissa's and he bit out, "I don't think I need to remind you what's at stake, should you fail me."

Narcissa held her head high. "No, My Lord." she said firmly. "I will take care of Little One. I swear it."

The Dark Lord eyed her for another second before he nodded curtly. "Very well." he then looked back at Little One and hissed in parseltongue again, before he swiftly exited the hall.

Narcissa waits a few more seconds before she returns her attention to the Inferius in her arms. She smiles at him. "What do you say we go play in the garden?" she asks. The Inferius grins brightly and nods.