Chapter One

They say the city was once full of people, whether it was day or night; the chaos would linger through the streets. As Tobias and I sit on the third floor of an abandoned building overlooking the Abnegation Sector, I close my eyes and pretend there's something more than the peacefulness the early afternoon brings.

Could I really long for a life I never knew?

I'm brought back from my daze when the chair Tobias shifts in scrapes against the floor, I find him now with his elbows resting against his knees and his chin propped up by his fists when I open my eyes. I've noticed when he's in thought, his dark eyebrows furrow together and cause a crease between them.

"Are you going to tell me your results?" I ask softly, the wind taking course through the open wall and shifting a strand of hair from the uniform knot, brushing against my cheek. "It seems to be troubling you."

"You know the rules as well as I do, Amalia," he meets my eyes for a moment then looks back outside where blocks of brick block us from people below being able to find us. "It's not as if you would tell me why you left the aptitude test early."

Today we took our aptitude tests to find out what our true faction is; Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless or Erudite. With the small knowledge I had of the test, I practically went in blind like everyone else. It didn't make me nervous, it made me curious. I didn't feel like I ever belonged in Abnegation, though I didn't know where else I could call home.

Turns out, I was right. The volunteer entered my results as Abnegation, but that's because it was the safest choice of the three. Once she told me not to tell anybody my true result, I was sent home early.

"I told you, the serum made me sick" I bring my hands together on top of my lap.

"Since when have you ever had a weak stomach?" He looks over at me, I can tell he's trying to read my face- he claims one of his few talents is being able to read people, but he's always done a bad job with me.

"Since always" I lie, guilt in my stomach. Tobias and I have known each other since we were young, living only a house between us. He knows practically everything about me, so the lying makes my stomach churn. He deserves the truth, especially when this could be our last conversation before everything changes- it could be my last chance.

"Yeah. Whatever you say" he shifts back again.

After a few minutes go by, Tobias turns his wrist to read the time on his watch. With a sigh, he raises to his feet then offers his hand. I grin and slide my hand into his, standing only a few inches away.

"Promise me one thing" he whispers. I nod, signifying that I'm listening.

"Promise me that you'll not take your family's opinions into account. You deserve to be happy."

Like I said, he knows practically everything about me. "I promise" I meet the same tone as his. Tobias gives me a grin, pushing back the strand of hair behind my ear with his free hand and drops my hand with the other.

"Promise me, too, Tobias" I crouch to pick up my school bag. "You deserve to get out, too."

His blue eyes look into my hazel ones, studying me for a moment then nods; but doesn't give his promise.

I just hope he knows, and does, the right thing.

Together we walk down the rickety steps of the building. We first found this place as kids, venturing around after school when I noticed he went straight home every day without a word to anyone else and asked him once if he'd accompany me somewhere because I could tell he was lonely. We eyed this building together and followed our shared curiosity of what was inside. Ever since, we came to this space for a few minutes before finishing our short journey home- it was our safe haven.