Chapter 34

Jimin had not been looking forward to the ball even the slightest bit. It was the last place he wanted to be, truthfully; the idea of having to keep up a facade for his parents was already burdensome, but to have to entertain a swarm of desperate princesses on top of that was just unsparing. Jimin was a puppet for the king to control, and he wasn't sure how much longer he could put up with it. And the thought of Eunjae having to sit alone tonight while he was off engaging with other women didn't sit right with him; he could only imagine how she must have been feeling.

At least, this was until he'd spotted the very woman amongst the crowd of attendees.

Jimin had merely grazed over her form at first, brushing her off as some sort of duchess, but when his eyes dubiously flickered back, he'd been astounded. There Eunjae was, indeed, not in her room but at the ball—his ball—in a stunning gown, no less. She looked divine, ethereal, her beauty unmatched in a room filled with exceptional women. All Jimin wanted was to approach her, to whisk her into the embrace of his arms and shield her from the prying eyes of other men in the room.

The prince, however, couldn't, as his father was presently introducing a princess from a neighboring kingdom to him. Jimin bit back his disdain and maintained a polite demeanor as he bowed to the woman—Princess Kim Chungha, as his father had just informed him. She seemed kind, of course with lovely features on top of a warm aura; Jimin might have been interested if his heart hadn't already belonged to another.

His eyes flicked back to Eunjae, who was sending him a coy smirk as she challengingly raised her drink at him. Oh, so she wanted to be daring, now? She was trying to make him tick, to spur some sort of a reaction out of him.

Before Jimin could fathom excusing himself away, however, he found himself with the obligation of entertaining Chungha with a dance. The king was relentless, and Jimin could tell that his father was trying to match him up with this particular woman. He wondered what her nation had to offer that had his father so keen on setting them up together.

As Jimin escorted the princess to the floor, he glanced again at Eunjae to find her attention on some other occurrence in the room. He decided to direct his focus on the woman before him for the time being as he positioned them in a proper waltz formation.

"How have you been enjoying the evening so far?" He politely began conversing.

Chungha smiled. "Everything has been lovely, thank you. And you?"

Jimin pondered the query for a moment, his mind swimming with thoughts of Eunjae in that bewitching gown, before he charmingly joked, "The night is still young."

The princess before him laughed as well, before an awkward silence settled between the two as they continued to sway to the soft melody while keeping a respectful distance. Jimin's eyes continued to flick back to Eunjae's form every now and then, wanting to keep track on her whereabouts and, mostly, ensure that no foul men would make an advance on her. Even just the thought of it had him roused.

"Who is she?" Chungha suddenly piped up. Jimin's brows furrowed as he noticed the expectant and knowing expression adorning the princess' face.

"What do you mean?" He hesitated.

Chungha exhaled a soft, brief laugh as she grinned dazzlingly up at him. "The woman you've had your eye on all evening. Who is she?" Jimin's lips parted, both out of shock, due to the princess' acute observation, and slight alarm for her possibly ill intentions. Upon seeing his change in expression, she softly reassured, "I have no desire to expose you, if that's what you're thinking. Do you believe yourself to be the only one hiding your private affairs?"

Jimin's eyebrows raised bewilderingly. In a hushed voice, he wondered, "So then why are you here tonight? If you've another awaiting your return?"