Kendra

~When the days are cold and the cards all fold and the saints we see are all made of gold. When your dreams all fail and the ones we hail are the worst of all, and the blood's run stale. I wanna hide the truth, I wanna shelter you but with the beast inside, there's nowhere we can hide. No matter what we breed, we still are made of greed. This is my kingdom come. When you feel my heat, look into my eyes it's where my demons hide. Don't get too close; it's dark inside, it's where my demons hide, it's where my demons hide~ Imagine Dragons.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Demons' by Imagine Dragons.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

°°

Rainey

"What on earth is going on?" Alex anxiously glances at me through his rear-view mirror. "Why were those men looking for you, Rain? And why are they the same ones involved in Riley's assault?"

Ansel looks at him. "It's a long story, Al. I'll tell you all about it when we get back home."

My mind is consumed with what just happened. Meeting a new side to these brothers; especially Ansel always tends to leave me dumbfounded. I am so occupied with my thoughts that I have no idea Alex is speaking to me until he swiftly glances my way.

"Rainey, you okay?"

I swallow hard, nodding my head as I bite my lip. Ansel looks back at me, his eyes softening. "Are you sure? I am sorry if I scared you back there."

I shake my head. "It's okay..."

It really is. I am no saint either and I will certainly not judge them. This is my battle, yet they chose to fight it with me. If anything, I should be grateful.

Ansel returns his gaze ahead and Alex rakes his hair back in frustration. "Should we return to the hospital? See if Riley has woken up?"

"Uhm, I need to make a stop first, is that okay?" I insinuate. Alex nods. "Of course. Where should I head?"

I swallow hard. "Freetown High. I need to see Kendra."

°°

Alex pulls into an available spot in the parking lot, and I am hit with a wave of nostalgia as I take in the school I struggled to leave behind. Everything here is still the same.

I blow my cheeks out and open the door to get out as Ansel jerks his head around. "Rain, are you sure you don't want me to come with you? I don't feel good about you going in alone."

"I'll be fine. Kendra doesn't scare me." I assure him. "Plus, there's blood on your clothes, I don't want anyone pulling attention to you."

He drops his gaze to his uniform shirt, smeared in dried blood. He nods as he looks back at me. "Yeah...you're right...but if you don't come back in thirty minutes, I'm coming to get you, okay?"

"Yeah." I smile a little. "I'll be right back."

I whirl away to leave when he speaks again. "Rain...wait..." I turn to look at him and he sighs, his eyes glistening with concern. "Will you tell me later?"

I stare at him. "Tell you what...?"

"What happened here." He clarifies. "Will you tell me why you had to leave?"