Chapter 17: The Odds

Everything moved quickly.

Shoto was the true hero today as without him someone would've begun their ascent to heaven. The young hero refused to give up on the violet haired individual as he performed CPR for the better part of twenty minutes before the paramedics arrived. When they came onto the scene, it came as a shock to nearly everyone as the victim was alive and far from visiting the grave. The paramedics congratulated Shoto Todoroki for his sharp thinking. Even then, the praise didn't last very long as they loaded (Y/n)'s brother onto the ambulance within an inch of his life and left as soon as they arrived.

The young couple now had more problems on their hands. While Shoto didn't mind, (Y/n) was shaken by the thought that their clothes were stained in crimson. In the end, stained clothes were the least of their worries as they ran and ran as fast as their feet could propel them. Neither of them felt as ease until they were set up in a waiting room at the hospital. The room itself was stained in horrible lasting emotions. Sadness, despair, regret, guilt it was all over the place from the walls to the tear soaked fabric of the chairs. Come hours later, (Y/n) still hadn't gotten any news about her brother's condition but instead met with the grim discovery that the nurse had handed over all of Shun's belongings as if he'd never return. Now, (Y/n) was at her absolute low. She had no idea it's been nearly four hours since the attack yet in her scarred mind it feels as though only minutes had gone by.

Shoto was worried about (Y/n) more than he was Shun at this point. Shoto has never seen (Y/n) zone in and out from reality as badly as she was now. She's been frozen for three decades, learned that everyone she knew was either dead or old, reunited with her father and nearly died since then and yet nearly losing her half brother finally broke her mold. He's more than aware that (Y/n) didn't like her brother all that much but she still cared for him as if she's known him her whole life. That's one thing Shoto's grown to love about his girl; she could barely know you and happily hand over her life if it meant a better life in the eyes of another. Shoto could tell that she was finally coming back into reality after a long pause with reality with how she was taking in a long intake of breath that made her chest expand past it's limits. One long exhale, and (Y/n) closed her eyes. "Is Bakugou here yet?" The girl finally spoke up for the first time since the accident.

"No..." Shoto stopped looking at the girl and faced forwards. Of all things that crosses her mind at this time, she thinks about Bakugou. There's other more pressing matters, Shoto thought with disgust. "What's up with you (Y/n)?" Shoto lets out an overbearing sigh. "I know you're not okay."

"Well," (Y/n) huffed in aggravation. "No shit! I'm not doing okay. My brother is probably gonna die," snarkiness on point...

"Not what I meant," Shoto shared a worrisome glare with (Y/n). "I know you're upset with Shun in his condition. I wanted to know what's going on in your head. Are you mad?" Shoto continued to talk as more and more excuses came to his head. "What're you gonna do about all this? Do you..." He trailed off as he didn't want to finish his thought. "Do you need to cry? You haven't cried at all and knowing you... I expected you to cry or something by now."

"I'm just waiting for news from the doctor," (Y/n) kept a level head and nearly ignored just about everything her boyfriend had to ask. "If he's expected to live or die or... Has a fighting chance... I don't want to jump to conclusions and think the world is ending just yet..." The girl slowly reached over and held Shoto's hand and intertwined their fingers together. Just knowing Shoto was there for her gave her all the reassurance she needed to pull through this moment. "If you hadn't taken charge like you did... My brother would be dead... Thank you..."

A tear had finally fled from the girl's eyes. Shoto used his free hand to dry her tears, "for how badly you talk about him... You sure seem to love him." Something Shoto couldn't understand even if his life depended on it. He wouldn't risk his life for his brother or sister and he's downright sure they'd be the same.