NINE

"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war." -- Donald Trump

** I need to clarify something since I've been getting hate comments that I have to delete. This quote does not automatically mean I support Donald Trump as a President. In fact, I didn't vote for him, and continue to dislike him in office. HOWEVER, this quote, which I picked before he was even running for President, fits this chapter and this story very well, and so I'm keeping it. Please think before you comment hurtful things, as I will not tolerate it, whether or not it's hurtful towards me or other readers. This story is an inclusive environment for commenters. Thank you. **

++ C H A P T E R | N I N E ++

Exploding at Brent and Natasha felt good, but now Elliott was paying the price. Guilt was eating at him all afternoon during work. Not even Wes could make the guilt go away.

"Elliott, you have to let it go. So you yelled at them. Just apologize." Wes was nearly perfect in every way, and Elliott was jealous. When people looked at Wes, they saw a man. When people looked at Elliott, they saw a weak, pretty boy. Nothing more.

"It isn't that easy, Wes." Elliott was annoyed that Wes, a boy who he'd just met, was giving him advice on how to live his life. Elliott needed the advice, but he was too proud to admit it. Far too proud to even begin to acknowledge that he needed it.

"Sure it is." Wes patted his head and turned back to the counter. Elliott had begun to grow on him. There was something about him that made Wes smile. Wes had never had many friends growing up, mostly because he dedicated all his free time to the farm and the shop. This resulted in him never having time for friends, and having Elliott by his side was a refreshing change. Even if Elliott was a moody teenage boy who had no muscle on him and was as thin as a beanpole. Not the ideal worker for a farm, but Wes wouldn't have it any other way.

Elliott spent the next few moments ringing up customers in silence. Wes was right, and Elliott hated that he was. But, there was also something about Wes that Elliott couldn't hate. He was too nice and too open to hate, but Elliott didn't want to like him. Liking him meant more room for hurt, and a greater chance that his secret could be exposed. Friends had always been a huge no-no, according to mother.

"If you want, we baked extra cookies. You can have one after work." Wes was trying to play peace keeper. He liked Elliott, but he knew how Elliott felt about him. Just seeing how Elliott had reacted to seeing him that first day had indicated how Elliott felt. He was afraid. He was hiding something, and trying his hardest to protect himself. Wes wanted him to trust him so much. He wanted to see Elliott smile.

"Maybe I'll take you up on that offer." Was all Elliott could manage as his hands worked to calculate the customer's price on the calculator. It was hard for Elliott to memorize all the prices - there was no scanner. It was a local shop selling produce, and every price had to be memorized. Not easy, but not entirely impossible. All the prices were around the shop.

"Your brother was in here earlier," Wes added after he was finished with a customer. He leaned lazily against the counter and raised an eyebrow at Elliott. "He was looking for you."

Elliott shook his head - not this again. "It's nothing, I'll talk to him later."

Wes shook his head. "Family is important, Elliott. If you let this problem simmer, it'll tear you two apart."

Elliott fought to breathe. "If family was so important, my mother wouldn't have made me this way!" Elliott let his hands dig in his hair as he clutched his head. "She wouldn't have done all of those things. She would have loved me like she was supposed to. She wouldn't have killed him. If family was so important, he would still be alive!"