forty three- just as friends

The next morning, I was at my locker grabbing some books when there was movement beside me. I assumed it was Betty but when I looked beside it was Anthony standing there smiling.

"Hey Anthony." I replied, putting my jacket away since the weather was getting nicer and I didn't need to carry around a big coat everywhere.

"H-hi."

"What's up?" I asked, he seemed to be nervous.

"Y-you know how homecoming is in like 2 days..."

"Yeah..." I responded, quite unsure of where this is going to head.

"I presume, you're uh- already going with Peter right?"

The smile on my face disappeared, I shook my head. "No I'm not."

"W-what? Oh okay... Then uh- I was hoping if you wanted to go with me?" he asked, hopefully. He was playing around with his jacket zipper, with the nervous look because he was unsure of what I was going to replied. "A-as friends, of course."

I numbly nodded before I could think of anything, "Y-yeah sure why not. Going as friends would be nice."

"Really? Oh-uh then should I pick you up from your h-house or..."

"Let's just meet there." I smiled.

"Cool. Well, I've got maths so I'll see you at Biology..."

"Yeah, see you."

Biology...

"Hi Y/N." Peter greeted as I took a seat at my usual place next to him.

"Hey." I replied, I just wanted it to be normal between. Peter can like whoever he wants and now I'm going with Anthony so it's no big deal.

"Alright class, today we'll be doing a very quick experiment on how Elodea does photosynthesis. So on the board I have written the equipment and the method you have to follow so now you and your lab partner can start."

The whole class stood up, going towards the front to grab the equipment which is on the teacher's desk.

"I'll grab the equipment. Could you just grab the sodium bicarbonate and the UV Light please?" I asked, standing up to get the equipment.

"S-sure." Peter replied.

We had set up the experiment and I pulled out my notebook to jot down what I am observing.

"So the closer the UV light, the more bubbles are produced because they are doing photosynthesis..." I mumbled, quickly writing it down.

"Y/N..." Peter's voice spoke.

"Hmm?" I answered, still busily writing down and not really paying attention to Peter.

"About Homecoming..."

I stopped and look at him in the eye, "Peter, I'm really happy for you. You're going with the person you wanted to go with and I'm going with Anthony so..."

His face fell as his eyes were widening at my response. I could tell he was surprised that I knew what happened between him and Liz.

"Y-you're going with An-Anthony?"

"As friends." I added and continued writing. "And you're going with Liz."

"What? I'm—"

I cut him off, "Peter, it's fine. You don't have to keep it a secret from me. I'll saw you two talking yesterday..."

"What? N-no t-that's jus—"

"Peter, I'm just happy that you got the courage to ask her...Good job." I said, not wanting to look at his eyes instead I looked at the Elodea.

"I think we can finish now..." Peter replied quietly while grabbing the beaker and starting to pack up the things. I took the UV light returned it back where it was and started to help Peter pack up the beakers and test tubes. "It's fine Y/N... I got it." he sighed.

"O-okay, thanks."

For the rest of the day, we didn't really talk or even exchanged looks. I think Peter was really shocked that I found out what happened.

...

"You're going with Anthony?" Liz asked, surprised when the three of us were calling later that evening.

"It's nothing to be surprised about." I answered.

"Why Anthony though?" She questioned, with a slight disgust in her tone.

"Because he asked me and I said yes... Sounds familiar, Liz?" I stated, a bit annoyed that she thought Anthony wasn't good enough.

"W-what? N-no... I just thought maybe— never mind..."

"Sooo, let's talk about something else now... Have you guys gotten your dresses?" Betty asked, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Yeah, it arrived on Monday." Liz replied.

"I think mine is arriving tomorrow. It said on the tracking page." I added. I went to shops at the mall but I couldn't find the right now but I was searching through the internet the other night and found the most perfect dress ever. I've never been to a prom or a school dance before so I guess I should just make the most of it...

"Alright, I got to go now so I'm going to hang up." Liz exclaimed.

"Yep me too. I'm going to go." I added, it was around 8:30 PM and that's when Spiderman usually comes by. He hasn't came this week but I was hoping he would come by today. He's the only person that I've told literally everything so I need to get something off my mind.