~ 12 ~

Maria exhaled heavily and ran a hand across her head with drained spirits.  She was tired and fed up with dealing with someone who simply had no interest in his treatment whatsoever, and she did not doubt that he would continue to deny her treatments, even though she was only doing her job and nothing else.

"What was that all about?" She muttered to herself, rubbing her temples to relieve the headache she had developed since the moment Jayden had mentioned some nonsense about repentance of sins.

Her eyes wandered around the large space, unsure of what to do next. She felt exhausted and was considering taking the day off. Yet, she couldn't afford to miss any appointments because of his arrogance. Regarding her equal passion when it came to her work, she decided to go ahead and treat him anyway, regardless of his attitude or lack of cooperation.

Maria stepped forward, giving a shot at finding her way inside a house that looked like it was built for giants. She passed through the hallways and didn't miss stealing glances at the massive paintings and sculptures that lined the walls. At the end of the hallway, she was beginning to feel lost. She stared down the carpet that seemed to stretch out far beyond her sight, not knowing which of the many doors would lead her to her destination.

During her deep pondering, the sounds of footsteps approaching the corridor made her startle. She turned around in surprise but managed to conceal her emotions quite successfully.

Her eyelids stretched to see the lady coming in her direction. Her features were sharp and her hair was dyed a vivid violet, matching her dress perfectly. She carried a black leather bag on one shoulder, small enough to require little support.

Maria instantly recollected seeing her on her first arrival at the Stanleys' home. She was the lady on the phone who was moving through the corridor with speed, seeming like a blur; the youngest member of the family.

Her fancy pair of heels clicked against the floor as they came closer to the gaping doctor. The lady eventually stopped moving, revealing a bright smile, and looking surprisingly friendly with her perfect white teeth. Maria opened her mouth to greet but the woman beat her to it.

"Oh, hello there," She greeted, addressing her warmly. "You must be the new doctor they hired."

Maria was taken aback by the lady's friendliness. She was not judging her based on the spoiled brat stereotype of every billionaire's daughter but her encounters with her egotistical brother made her assume that that kind of attitude was the most common among people like them. Nonetheless, She nodded in agreement before responding. "Yes, I am. Good morning." Maria returned, her voice cautious.

"Call me Hilary," she gave out another smile, extending her hand for a shake. "Nice to have you here, doctor."

Maria glanced down slowly and clung her palm against Hilary's offered ones in the same careful manner. "The pleasure is all mine, Ms. Hilary." She returned, noticing the faint scent of lilac perfume lingering around the fingers wrapping hers.

"'Hilary will do please," The lady brushed off gently, withdrawing her hands.  Her eyes surveyed their environment and her smile faltered slightly. She returned her eyes and Maria could see the confusion written over her face. "Well, where is your patient? Or are you just arriving?" She inquired politely, eyes turning towards the staircase once more.

The doctor's shoulders involuntarily slumped slightly. How was she going to tell the lady that her brother was already back inside, refusing his treatment after presenting an underrated act of craziness?

Maria quickly composed herself, clearing her throat to hide her discomfort. She was determined not to show how frustrated she was at being unable to help Jayden. She answered without looking directly into the woman's face, avoiding eye contact so as not to make her uncomfortable.