Out of My League

Parker was appalled at how boring the car ride with Oliver and Diggle was. They tried to make small talk and it hadn't worked. Parker asked for the radio and Oliver denied it. In an awkward silence, they sat, and Parker was tired of it. 

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer," she sang softly. "You take one down... Pass it around..."

"Parker," said Oliver. He was going to politely ask her to stop. 

"Ninety-eight bottles of beer," continued Diggle. "You take one down, pass it around..."

"John," said Oliver, more vicious than he had been with Parker. 

"Ninety-seven bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-seven bottles of beer! You take one down, pass it around, ninety-six bottles of beer on the wall!" sang Parker and Diggle together. 

Every countdown, their voices raised and their bodies moved obnoxiously to the words. Both found joy in making the car ride annoying for their grumpy passenger. 

By forty-three, the car came to a stop in front of S.T.A.R. Labs. 

"Farewell, Ms. Sylas," said Oliver loudly. 

"Nice singing with you, Dig. Thank you for the ride," said Parker.

"Anytime," assured Diggle. 

Parker climbed from the SUV. She closed the door, then stepped to the passenger's window, knocking until Oliver was forced to roll it down. He made sure only his eyes were visible. 

"I hope to perform for you again soon, Mr. Queen," teased Parker. 

"One can hope," said Oliver through his teeth. 

Laughing heartily, Parker waved her hand goodbye. She ducked underneath the barbed wire gates and into the facility. She walked through the lobby, up the elevator, then around the corner to where the Cortex was at the end of the hall. 

Parker passed by the broken cage that belonged to Grodd. She eyed it suspiciously. No matter how many times she inquired of the cage, Dr. Wells always found a way to avoid it. 

In front of the Cortex doors, Parker stopped. She inhaled a deep breath. She feared what would occur when she stepped through those doors and faced the people she abandoned. Parker took a step. 

Chaos ensued when the doors opened. Repeatedly, multiple voices screamed, "Watch out!" when a flying silver streak bounced near one another. 

Caitlin quickly earned the title for the loudest scream. The girl was running around the Cortex, hands wildly waving above her head.

Suddenly, Barry zipped to stand in front of her. "Hi," he breathed, then he wrapped her up in his arms and he rotated their bodies, facing his back towards the threat. 

A final thud sounded; the attack from had come to an end. 

"That's on me!" shouted Cisco, briefly sucking his lips shamefully into his mouth. He raised his hand into the air. "That's on me."

"Death by boomerang?" asked Parker. "I think I'd take electricity over that."

××××

For the ten minutes Parker had been in the Cortex, five of them were spent wrapped in Cisco's arms. The second he saw Parker, he body-checked Barry out of the way, and engulfed Parker into his embrace. He hadn't let go. 

Felicity checked her watch. When six straight minutes passed, she called, "Cisco? Is she still breathing?"

"I'm good," sighed Parker contently. "I'm just busy enjoying the love I'm receiving from my favorite Ramon."