Chapter Fourteen: You're a Little Late

I held the small piece of decoration in my hand as little kids laughed and danced about the room. My body was tense, and I almost wanted to throw the small holly berries out the window. I stared at the pure green leaves and thought of Christmases with my mom, dad, and brother. That blew over shortly.

"Alex, you might wanna hang that up before Christmas is over," Xavier said. I gave him a sideways look causing him to laugh at me. I rolled my eyes as I hung the holly onto the wall. I smiled to myself as I backed up and admired my work. Momma would be proud.

I made my way over to the tree where Amy, Xavier, and Xavier's mom, Heather, were putting ornaments on the tree. A few children, I had not yet memorized the names of, giggled as they placed the biggest ornaments on the very bottom.

"Need any help?" I asked as I took a step toward the tree. Amy smiled and shook her head.

"No, dear. Why don't you go check on Tyler and Dylan in the kitchen." My smile fell slightly, but I nodded and exited the room.

The walk to the kitchen was much faster than I had wanted. By the time I was in the kitchen, Tyler was yelling at Dylan as he looked half drunk with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

"Aye," I yelled over Tyler's arguing. His head shot in my direction as Dylan took a long drag of his cigarette. "Take it outside or I will," I growled out at him. He huffed, but put out the cigarette and crossed his arms.

"What? No formal hello? No 'it's been awhile. How've you been?'" Dylan asked cockily. The scent of smoke lingered through the kitchen, and I despised it this way.

"Last time I had greeted you, I left with a handprint on the side of my face," I spat. He chuckled as I glared at him.

"You need something?" Tyler asked in a much nicer way than Dylan ever could. I slowly walked further into the kitchen until I could see the whites of their eyes.

"Amy sent me. Said you two assholes probably wouldn't even know the difference between your left and right hand," I lied sounding bored. I smiled and turned around toward the oven. "I'm not baking. Last time I did, the house nearly caught on fire. I'll supervise," I said as I clapped my hands together.

"No. We aren't doing anything. Sit down," Tyler said. I sucked in a deep breath, but decided it would best to sit. "Why did you really come in here?" Tyler asked once I was seated. I Iicked my lips and breathed out slowly.

"Amy told me too-"

"I don't want to hear that bullshit. I want to know why you came into the kitchen and didn't just leave the house." Tyler asked with authority. I smirked and tapped the table with my fingers.

"I see why you are beta," I commented. His piercing gaze never once left. "Well, you certainly took a much different approach than I," I said as I stood up and walked around so that I was in front of Tyler and Dylan. "You're a straightforward kind of guy. Reminds me of someone I always aspired to be. Sadly, I don't anymore. Fact is, I enjoy the fear. There is power in making your whispers sound like screams," I stated with a smirk.

"So what do you want?" Tyler asked once again. I huffed and rolled my eyes.

"I have to give it to you. You know exactly what you're doing. Maybe more than I do at the moment," I said. Dylan watched as I leaned in and put my lips to Tyler's ear and whispered, "but, you have all the answers that I need." I back up as Tyler's face was hard as stone.

"What answers?" Dylan questioned. I shot him a look and his eyes narrowed on me.

"Leave," I said darkly. He looked hesitant, but he got up and left the room. That simple. I directed myself back to Tyler as his face had paled just a bit.