Chapter 75

The next day, I was called up to McGonagall's office for my career advice. Although I didn't really see a point in that, seeing as I was just a Muggle.

But then I thought perhaps it was for the best to act along if we were trying to convince Umbridge that I was like everybody else at school.

Although when I knocked at McGonagall's door and went inside, my heart immediately dropped at the sight of Umridge, taking notes in the corner.

"Take a seat, Hooper," said McGonagall casually, pointing at the chair before them and so I sat down quietly. "As you know, this session is set so we can talk about any possible careers you can pursue in the future."

She then took a file in her hands, looking down at my grades, meanwhile Umridge kept glancing between me and the files with narrowed eyes.

"You're doing alright in classes, I see. But your Potions marks stands out among all rest, I must say. Have you ever thought of a career as a Healer?"

"I — what?" My eyes widened at those words.

"A Healer in the department of Potion making for medicines, Hooper," said McGonagall firmly, as if to tell me to keep it together and play along.

"I — er — yes, yes — why not."

"Well, I personally think that would be the prefect suit for you. Although, I must say, it's highly responsible job and—"

"Hem, hem."

McGonagall turned sharply at Umbridge who coughed sweetly, looking ready to slap her. "Yes?"

"How about Miss Hooper's practical works?"

My jaw slightly dropped at those words. I started to panic and my heartbeat sped up, but McGonagall seemed ever so confident as she said,

"If I recall correctly, Delores, it was you who said practical works were not as important as theoretical at school. But if you must know, I think Hooper here does perfectly fine in my classroom, and so does Professor Flitwick."

Umbridge was just about to open her mouth to retort, but closed it once again as a loud bang erupted the place.

"What on earth is that?" she said breathlessly, standing up to her feet as the sound came again.

She immediately left the office and McGonagall and I followed her right behind as we ran downstairs.

When we got there, we all came to a halt, just to see the place filled up with exploding fireworks, in the shape up huge living dragons, flying around as everyone had gather to watch with amusement.

And in the middle of the crowd stood Fred and George, laughing the loudest as they set more fireworks upwards.

"So!" said Umbridge triumphantly, looking down upon her prey. "So . . . you think this is amusing, do you?"

"Pretty amusing, yeah," said Fred, looking back up at her without the slightest sign of fear.

Filch elbowed his way closer to Umbridge, almost crying with happiness. "I've got the form, Headmistress," he said hoarsely, waving a piece of parchment. "I've got the form and I've got the whips waiting. . . . Oh, let me do it now. . . ."

"Very good, Argus," she said. "You two," she went on, gazing down at Fred and George, "are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school."

"You know what?" said Fred. "I don't think we are."

He then turned to his twin.

"George," said Fred, "I think we've outgrown full-time education."

"Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself," said George lightly.

"Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?" asked Fred.

"Definitely," said George.

And before Umbridge could say a word, they raised their wands
and said together, "Accio Brooms!"

There came a loud sound of crashing somewhere in the distance and when we turned, we saw Fred and George's broomsticks hurtling along the corridor toward them.

The two brooms turned left, streaked down the stairs, and stopped sharply in front of the twins, their chains still clattering loudly on the flagged stone floor.

"We won't be seeing you," Fred told Professor Umbridge, swinging his leg over his broomstick.

"Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch," said George, mounting his own.

Fred looked around at the assembled students, and at the silent, watchful crowd.

"If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated upstairs, come to number ninety-three, Diagon Alley — Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes," he said in a loud voice. "Our new premises!"

"Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat," added George, pointing at Professor Umbridge.

"STOP THEM!" shrieked Umbridge, but it was too late.

As the Inquisitorial Squad closed in, Fred and George kicked off from the floor, shooting fifteen feet into the air, and for a second I caught Fred sending a wink at my direction.

Fred looked across the hall at the poltergeist bobbing on his level above the crowd. "Give her hell from us, Peeves."

And with that, Peeves swept his hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George wheeled about to tumultuous applause from the students below and sped out of the open front doors, disappearing through the sky as we cheered them on.