Chapter 14: Time Bomb

Both spies walked through the hallways of the Helicarrier quietly and swiftly, but there was a weird tension between the two. The lab was on the other side of the ship, so they did have some time to talk.

Katya tried to force back the haunting memories from all the things she did that kept showing up in her nightmares. For Natasha, the things she had done were stuffed deeper down her mind. The screams and cries of pain only coming back to the surface every now and then. But she would have to calm Katya down at least four nights a week.

It hurt her to see Katya in such a state, even though she tried to be strong for her.

Now, her green eyes fell to the left corner of her eye, seeing the far-away look on her face. ''The Pope? Do you know how long we looked for his assassin.'' She smirked, seeing the humor in the fact that the one they couldn't find for years walked right next to her.

Katya turned to look at her. Although she appreciated her attempt at lightening the mood, it didn't help. ''I'm sorry,'' she spoke softly, holding Natasha's gaze. ''About all of it. All of them.''

Natasha's eyes softened, the humor disappearing. ''I know. You don't have to apologize.''

But Katya was already shaking her head, a frown between her eyebrows as her eyes turned to the floor. ''I do. I could never apologize enough to ever be forgiven.''

Natasha reached out, giving her hand a little squeeze to make sure she heard her. ''It's not words that bring you forgiveness, Katya, it's actions.'' She looked up, sending a smile her way as a thank you. ''We may never wipe out the red, but we're trying as hard as we can. That has to count for something, right?''

The tiniest nod came from Katya, not sure if she deserved forgiveness for everything she had done in her life. But Natasha was right; the only thing they could do was this, what they did right now. Actions, trying to do good. 

Loud talking suddenly reached their ears, ending the conversation. It floated through the hallways, coming from the direction of the lab. Katya forgot her own problems, stowing them away for later and concentrating on the problem at hand. And by the yelling coming through the open door, it wasn't pretty.

''I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit.'' Steve sounded really pissed, something Katya thought he wasn't often. The man seemed really nice and kind. Not someone to raise his voice easily. 

Katya was one step behind Natasha when they turned the corner, into the lab. Steve and Fury stood next to a table that held a very familiar gun. When Katya had explained what the HYDRA weapons she had seen and worked with looked like and how powerful they were, SHIELD managed to copy them so they could fight their enemy evenly. 

It was the logical thing to do. If you didn't keep up with your enemy, they'll walk all over you in a fight. Even if you think it's not right to develop such weapons, they left you no choice.

Banner looked really pissed, maybe even more than Steve. If that was possible. The scientist stood behind a large desk, while Stark observed from the corner, arms crossed over his chest. He was clearly satisfied with his work and what he managed to uncover.

''Did you know about this?'' Banner's eyes flashed between the two spies as they walked in, both on edge with everything going on.

''I suggested this,'' Katya spoke up first, causing all eyes to turn to her. She could feel Rogers' eyes burn into she side of her face, disappointment and anger radiating off him. Bruce wasn't much different. It didn't affect her too much. She didn't care what they thought of her, she stood by her own choices.

Banner's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. ''You what?''

Katya narrowed her eyes, not liking the tone he used with her. ''I spent eight years with the enemy, seeing their weapons evolve into something more dangerous than anything before.'' She shrugged, arms crossed over her chest. ''SHIELD had to do better, build better weapons, to stand a chance.''