0.27

chapter 27 

the first thing india hears is the whirring of an airplane. she groans softly, a headache pounding on the side of her head. 

"hey, india, you're awake" a voice calls to her. 

india groans again, starting to open her eyes. 

"what... what happened?" she asks weakly. she looks at the person in front of her "jj?" she asks. 

jj smiles, offering her a cup of water. 

"hey, you've been out for a while" he tells her softly. "do you remember anything?" he asks, leaning in front of her to face her eye to eye. 

kiara and pope stand behind jj, looking at the girl seated in front of them with worry. 

india shakes her head, trying to clear her head. 

"last thing i remember is getting off the plane and then peterkin arresting ward for murder," she tells the group. 

jj nods silently, taking back the cup in her hand and setting it aside. 

"is your head okay?" he asks, motioning to the cut on her head. 

india nods. her hair was wet from where the team had tried to wash the blood off, but there was no more bleeding. 

"i'm fine." she brushes it off, pushing through the pain as she sits up straight on the couch. she needed to know what had happened in the time that she had been out. 

"what happened to the gold? where's john b?" she asks, turning to look at the team. 

jj shakes his head. "ward has it. the plane already left to the bahamas. as to john b, we don't know where he is" he tells her. 

india stays silent, looking around where they are. 

"how much time was i out?" she asks, turning back to the team. 

"about an hour, maybe an hour and a half" jj replies, taking a seat next to her. 

"i lost my scholarship" pope sighs out all of a sudden. the entire group turns to face him, their faces shocked. "walked out in the middle of the interview" he explains merely. his expression is somber, and the group knows he's at his breaking point. 

jj sighs, reaching into his pocket and pulling out his weed vape pen and offers it to him. 

"here dude, you need it more than i do" he mutters. 

surprisingly, pope takes it. 

india turns to look at pope. "pope, you don't smoke" 

pope turns to her, his eyes watering. "india, everything i have worked for-- it's gone. it's not gonna happen" 

"you did that for us?" kiara asks, her voice hoarse as she looks at pope. 

pope scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief. 

"no, not for us. for nothing." he strains out. 

jj stands up, grabbing pope's shoulders and massaging them. 

"i'm here for you, pope" he offers, patting his chest. "welcome to my world, okay?" 

"jj" india warns softly. 

"what, indi? he's actually right. it doesn't matter anymore" jj replies, turning to his girlfriend. 

india sighs, running a hand delicately through her hair to avoid her cut. she watches as pope takes the juul into his mouth, inhaling, his expression void of emotion.