Smile

Izuku's POV

   I sighed, setting the tired girl on the bed. I managed to rent a house for the month so that Eri wouldn't have to go wandering around on the streets like I did.

   I sat on the bed next to her, singing her a calming song since it seemed like she was having a hard time falling asleep. A song that my mother used to sing me.

   After a few moments, Eri fell asleep, giving me the perfect timing to get some groceries. During the time I take care of Eri, I've decided to lessen my time fighting crimes and spend time with her instead.

   I locked the door securely before going to the nearest market. I bought some pork and some vegetables, hoping that what I cook will fit Eri's taste.

   I was about to head home when I passed by a clothes shop. The image of Eri's dirty clothes flashed in my mind and I walked into the clothes store.

   "Hello dear! What can I do for you?" A friendly looking woman said, approaching me as I looked through some girl's clothing.

   "O-Oh...Um." I glanced at the women. "I was looking for some clothes for my younger sister. She's around six years old now."

   "Really? Clothes for children are over there in the right." She said, showing me where it was.

   "Thank you." I said, giving the woman a lazy smile. 

   I sighed in relief when the woman went away, kind of annoyed that she chose to talk to me. I'm just thankful she left me alone though.

   "Hmm...This seems cute." I muttered, holding up a red pinafore. "Um..."

   I saw that it was a set with a white dress shirt. I set the pinafore down, thinking that it would be a bit too uncomfortable for Eri to wear. I took it anyways, deciding to come here later with Eri, seeing which clothes she wanted most.

   But before I left, I got some other clothes. Thankfully, I had enough money to pay for them. I guess working a whole bunch of part time jobs have paid off.

The Next Day

   I woke up on the couch, seeing Eri still asleep on the bed, I got up to cook breakfast. I decided to cook Katsudon, since it was the only food I knew to cook. I did know how to cook other foods as well, it's just that I didn't want to burn the house down.

   "Eri, wake up. I made breakfast." I said, lightly shaking the girl.

   "B-Breakfast?" She asked, rubbing her eyes as she sat up. "What's breakfast?"

   "...Uh...Breakfast is what you call food that you eat in the morning." I explained, smiling when I saw the girl's eye sparkle. "I'm not sure if you'll like it though."

   Eri started eating and I did as well, silently praying that the food will fit her taste. She looked up at me after eating a spoonful and I smiled when I saw her eyes sparkle.

   "It tastes great!" Eri said. "Thank you, Nii-chan."

   "Y-You're welcome." I was honestly flustered when she called me "Nii-chan" but I shrugged it off.

   I continued watching her eat. She must've been very hungry. I frowned when I realized that she never once smiled to me, even after getting free from Overhaul. It must've been very hard for her.

   "Eri, why don't you smile?" I asked, taking the bowls from her when she finished. 

   "Um...How..." Eri paused, looking at me. "How do you smile?"

   This took me by surprise, but I realized that in her situation, most people would've said the same. 

   "This is kind of hard to explain..." I sighed. "Eri, someone smiles when they're happy. I won't force you to smile because there's no meaning behind an empty smile but...I'd love to see your smile one day."

   At this, Eri teared up and I panicked, frantically trying to calm her down. Once she did, she looked up at me, and although I saw tears rolling down her face, I could see happiness glistening in her eyes.

   That was enough for me to feel better. I hugged her and she hugged back, her tears falling onto my chest.

   "Guess what?" I said once she calmed down. I pulled out the clothes I bought from yesterday, which was wrapped in a box.

   "Hmm?" She tilted her head, looking at me. "What is it?"

   "Tada!" I said, pulling out the dress for her. "This is for you, Eri!"

   "T-Thank you..." She said, looking at me. 

   "And these are your shoes!" I said, giving her some sneakers.

   Eri looked at me and hugged me again. I hugged her, patting her back.

   "Today, I'm going to take you shopping!" I said, smiling. "You can get anything you want."

   "R-Really?" Eri asked. I nodded. "T-Thank you..."

   I just smiled, getting a comb and brushing Eri's uncombed hair. I helped her wash up and change into the clothes I bought for her.

   I then changed as well, getting into my new red sweater I bought the other night.

   "Woah...We're pairs!" Eri said, pointing at my sweater. 

   "Yep! We're pairs!" I said, grabbing her hand and taking her outside. "Now, let's go experience some freedom!"

Time Skip

   It was already sunset and Eri and I have had such a fun time today. We went shopping for clothes and I bought her a small bunny doll, telling her that it was something she could remember me by. 

   We went to the movies. We ate popcorn and soda, watching a kids movie that Eri seemed to be interested in. 

   Currently, we were sitting on a bench in the park, eating ice cream and watching the ducks wobble around. 

   I sighed, relieved that my shapeshifting hadn't worn off yet.

   "Nii-chan..." Eri said, tugging on my sweater sleeves. "Thank you..."

   "Hmm?" I asked. "For what?"

   "For...For helping me...And teaching me how to smile." Eri said, this time looking up to me. She smiled. "Thank you."

   I felt so happy when I saw her smile. It felt like a lot of weight was being lifted up from my shoulders...I felt whole again.

   Since my mother's death and the disappearance of the kitsunes, I've been feeling lonely and empty. But seeing Eri's smile, I felt so much better.

   "...You're welcome..." I smiled back. "But I'm thankful to have met such a nice, wonderful girl like you. I've had such fun with you, something I've hadn't experienced for the past few months...So thank you, Eri."

   Eri smiled more brightly and we soon decided to head back. 

   I helped her get changed into her new pajamas and I got changed myself. I sang her a lullaby again, running my hand through her soft hair. She looked at me, smiling a little.

   "Goodnight, Nii-chan." She mumbled.

   I smiled, kissing the sleeping girl on the forehead.

   "Goodnight, Eri."