Chapter 31: Game Of Life

Artwork by nebula-517

"We'll investigate into this and deal with it accordingly."

The balding police officer scribbled in a notebook, and you glanced at Connor who was sitting beside you.

You had come to the Detroit City Police Department after school, in the hopes that with your proof, you would be able to get justice for Kara. However, no matter what you said to the officers, it was as if your words were not getting through.

"This is really serious sir," You insisted, "Kara is our friend, and she is being abused. So is her sister. Their father has already been in prison once..."

"And he is being watched closely," The officer replied, taking a sip of coffee and swirling it in his mouth before swallowing. "But you must understand, we get many criminal cases every day. We must deal with them all accordingly."

"And what about our friend that is being abused every day?" Connor asked in a quiet, yet menacing voice.

"We will deal with that also," The officer insisted.

The officer copied the video from your phone, and then sent you and Connor on your way. You felt as if you were a child being dismissed.

You had been there for hours, and the sun had already set. As you and Connor walked, the light from the street lamps lit your path.

When you were far enough away from the station, Connor angrily kicked a pole.

"Dammit!" He growled. He continued to kick the pole, releasing his fury onto the rusted metal. You didn't know what to say.

When you told Connor of the proof you had caught, you had both been eager to immediately go to the police station. However, upon going there, it seemed your evidence was worth nothing at all.

"What are we supposed to do?" Connor whispered, finally going still. You moved beside him, placing your hand on his shoulder.

"We'll find a way," You insisted, "Even if I have to sneak Kara and Alice out of that house, I will do it."

Connor turned his head towards you, and you realized how close you both were. The moment of Connor kissing you flashed through your mind, and you took a step back.

Connor had not mentioned your sudden kiss, and you were beginning to wonder whether you had simply dreamt up that moment. Yet it all felt so real. You could still feel his hand gently lifting your chin, his mouth on yours...

You felt your face turn red, and tried to hide it. It seemed that Connor was also feeling the same way.

"I-I'm sorry..." Connor mumbled, still looking away from you. "I know that what I did... was something strange."

"W-What do you mean?" You blurted out, even though you knew exactly what he was talking about. Connor faced towards you again, then glanced away, then glanced back again. It was if he was thinking carefully about his next words. Finally, he exhaled, closing his eyes.

"People at school gossip that I'm a player... but I'm not a player, I swear it." He looked with thoughtful eyes. "Listen [F/N]... when I did that the other day... when I kissed you, my intentions were  real. I really like you [F/N]." After he said it, he paused for a moment, his face turning red.

You both stood in silence, in a quiet area of the city, the glow of the streetlamps casting shadows over Connor's face. Connor turned away from you, his hands in the pockets of his school blazer.

"I like you too Connor..." You replied slowly, "But I want to be with you properly. I don't want to play with your feelings either... if I am with you, then I want to be with you all the way. And right now, I don't think that is possible... with this situation with Kara, and Markus and..."