All ends end with beginnings

Timeless...

This space was timeless.

Sans was unused to feeling this sense of floating- this sense of helplessness, everything was stained like the pitch of black— "Hum-dee-dee-dee~!" Water. The sound of gently lapping water invaded his skull as his sockets jarred open with a groan. No recollection, no fears- just peace. "Tra-la-la-la~!" ...And humming. The world was set to a blur as he propped himself up by his boney elbows slowly against an angle of wood- The world still spinning on its axis with him stuck in physical limbo.

"Ah-! I see you've come to, welcome!" A voice chirped over the water. Sans' vision focused on a purple blur, double becoming single- and with that, came the clarity, the awakening- his sense of self. Bullet- gang— wife-!! He shot back, the boat rocking haphazardly. Asgore stared back down at him, stoic and statuesque. His gaze hardened at Sans' newfound consciousness, eyes locked till a figure peeked out from behind Asgore's bulky frame.

"Hullo!"

The cloaked figure greeted cheerily, continuing to steer the boat as the lantern swung idly- the only warm light through the fog. Sans only stared at the swathed figure. "Wuh- Wait, Wait— Yer... Yer the grim reaper- aren't ya? Yer awful cheerful." Sans snorted. "But of course I am, though I don't like being called that— I prefer the 'cheer reaper'! Wait, that sounds worse... I suppose you may just call me the river person for now! Dee-Dee-Dee~! Much more joyous!" Sans only sighed, glancing around the dense fog walls formed around the boat as it sliced through.

"Is this just it? Sailing with yer worst enemy for all eternity-?" Sans quizzed, the River person giggling as Asgore let out a gruff snort- reinstating his distaste for the skeleton. "No, no- that dead yet— there's still hope! Lee-Dee-Dee~! We've got to get to the end yet fellas!" Sans' demeanour brightened— "Wait- so we are gettin' redemption-?!" "Slow down, boy. Let them speak their piece." Asgore glowered, Sans returning with a blackened frown. They both then turned to the River person, silent. Moments passed like that- "Oh- Can I help you?" The River person blanked, the duo letting out a collective groan. The River person only hummed, drumming their fingers in shanty rhythm.

"'Deep down past the river flow, the channels of the dead- trials bespoke of two souls splintered- shattered by a mighty blow a century long ago—

That night the victor was proclaimed and lived up to this very day- Queen of the lands so foreign, her feelings lain to slay-!

Down, down, down they went for a hundred years or so- their kindred spirits up above only seemed to grow-!

Merry are her people- mighty is her reign, her sword, her name-! The two souls climb up and face the fight to see what they can regain...'

—Sans-!! Your redemption relies on twenty-three— that's your price." The River person suddenly announced after his nonsensical song, pointing at the skeleton. Sans' socket cocked, confused. "Wait- But I killed mor—!" "The Queen's death belongs to Asgore to endure- for he carries the guilt and the orders of that day." The River person interluded before twirling on Asgore. "Your highness- Eight is your toll, it is the law of the underground— human redemption for their metaphysical bodies to return to the surface world as well. Tra-lee-lee~!"

The boat swept through the dark waters silently before the River person spoke up again, lowly and somber. "I must warn you both... these trials are perilous. You only have one death- after that, all else is uncertain. So use your death wisely. Do not fail. You shall never see above again otherwise..." Sans cast his gaze to the rippling waters, brow furrowed with determination.

Don't worry lil' lady.... I'm coming for ya.

One hundred years.