6.

Meera was dressed in a yellow and gold coloured lehenga, her hair neatly pleated and pinned, her kohl and bindi in place and she wore her traditional matha patti (head band) She looked beautiful, effortlessly beautiful.

Kanika walked into Meera's tent towards the dressing table where Meera was sitting, staring into the mirror.

"Meera it's time, we need to go." Kanika said and Meera was broken out from the trans.

"Yes." She smiled at her best friend through the mirror.
Meera got up from the stool and pulled her dupatta down covering her face, past her chin.

"Let's go."

Meera got out from the tent and into her waiting palanquin as the distance between the two tents was quite a bit to walk in her heavy clothes.

Her heart thudded and her hands were cold and clammy, she had no idea what the Mughal King wanted and why was he so persistent in only talking to her.

As her palanquin was lowered she wishes that she could stay in the small wooden box forever, she would choose that any day than facing the Khan.

"Meera come out!" Kanika whisper yelled. She struggled to get out of the palanquin and clumsily stepped out and stood up in her heavy lehenga.

"Assala Walekum Shehzadi Sahiba, I'm Mughal Chief Tahir, I appreciate and thank you for accepting the invite, we have arranged the feast in your honour and we hope you enjoy it." He smiled at her, a taunting smile, a smile which had so many different meaning none of which made her feel safe but she nodded her head and folded her hands in respect.

"Please follow Sakina she will guide you to the section made for women." Tahir said and then turned around and entered the tent through the main entrance.

"Salam Rajkumari Sahiba, please follow me." The same maid from the morning lead her inside the tent through a separate entrance.

The tent was huge and lavish, it was however divided into two sections by a thin veil of curtain, she could however see through the veil but not clearly.

Meera lifted the dupatta from her face and placed it on her head coving it, she was lead to a futon made of soft cotton and feather where she sat. There weren't many women in the section, then again having women in the middle of war zone wasn't common.

Meera looked at Kanika nervously who held Meera's hand in assurance.
"Everything will be okay Meera, and I'm with you, in every step of the way."

The music which was being played had helped soothe her nerves and knowing that her father was somewhere close made her want to cry and laugh at the same time.

An hour into some peaceful music and laughter which mainly came from the other side of the tent, huge giant plates of food was brought in.
Although she hadn't had a proper meal in almost four days, her anxiety had killed her appetite.

Another hour of playing with her food and built up tension and nervousness she was ready to explode and cry.
Meera was trying hard to keep her tears at bay for her father and for the people who were looking at her concerned, who had followed her a hundred miles from home.

Suddenly all the hustle bustle came to a stop, the music stopped, the laughter of men stoped, and Meera sweared on her Gods that she could here the sound of wind rushing outside.

She tried to see through the thin curtain of what was taking place on the other side. She let out a long frustrated sigh when she couldn't figure out much, and she cursed the veil and stupid Mughal tradition of separating men and women, never had this happened back at home.

She could see someone stand, a tall figure, and all other men stood following him.

"Shukriya aap sabka yaha tashreef lanney ke liye." (I thank you all for coming here) she heard a baritone voice, so deep and so calm that it made the hair on the back of her neck stand.
"The list of my thank you-s is long and I'm sure with such amazing food in your bellies most of you would like to back to your tents to warm beds rather than spend it here listening to me state the great work and support you all have done for our dynasty, so I wouldn't hold you here any longer, please enjoy your night and your women."
A round of chortles were heard and then she could here the other end of the tent being emptied.
Out of the 15-20 figures of men standing earlier not she could see the silhouette of only two.

Sakina entered her side of the tent, and gestured the other women to move out as well.
Meera felt her pulse quicken and her panic stricken eyes found Kanika's.

"I'm scared Meera!" Kanika said clutching Meera's forearm.

"Kanika Bibi, you must wait outside too." Sakina said.

"WHAT? No, if you think I'm leaving Meera alone in here you are crazy." Kanika shrieked

"Bibi ji please." Sakina pleaded.

"Meera lets go back to our tent, we don't have to be here."

"Yes you have to be." Came a voice from the other side. The same voice she was listening to a few minutes ago.

"Meera please." Kanika pleaded, tears were already rolling down her cheeks.

"Bibi ji please aap bahar chale." (My lady please step out) Sakina said, her face was pale and painted with fear.

"You have a minute to send your companion out if you want to strike a deal for your father, or you can forget you ever had one. A minute." The voice said and Meera wanted to run for her life.
Meera tried to breath, but it felt like an invisible hand was wrapped around her neck.

"Jao Kanika." (Go Kanika)

"Meera mai-."

"I order you to LEAVE."
Kanika moved towards Meera and engulfed her best friend in a hug, she knew whatever was to come would change her friend, her life forever.