15

I'm surprised it got so.
Things aren't the way,
they were before...

--

Strolling on a sunny Nigerian evening on a quiet beach, especially on Sundays was good for the mind.

It cleared one's mind, and also, one got to breath in fresh air and let's not forget, the excess PDA being displayed by couples, varying from young to old.

To Chimdi, it was too odd a Sunday evening. Especially ones spent on weekend-offs without her friends.

But there she was, casually dressed in blue tank top and comfy sweat pants. Her luxuriant full hair, in a messy bun, dancing with the wind.

She felt at ease and welcomed the calming yet, foreign feeling that came with walking the beach, with comfortable clothes, zero makeup and no suspecting fan.

She looked away immediately, as she saw a young couple laughing heartily as the girl's bikini hand fell off.

Her mind drifted back to her room earlier in the morning, with her unsuspecting boobs on display. She felt heat creep up her cheeks and she looked away, avoiding TJ who was taking shots of her every move.

She scowled at an old white couple groping each other, to the discomfort of poor unsuspecting passers-by like she and TJ.

They walked around in silence, stopping when necessary to capture whatever caught their attention.

She heard someone laugh. She was yet to get used to his voice.

"What?" She scowled at him too. They were asked to take pictures and practice whatever they were taught in class on scenes and nature. But there he was, aiming a camera at her.

He sent her a cheeky grin. "Are you jealous?" He asked, referring to the old white couple, making her roll her eyes.

"Ewww no! What's there to be jealous of- and take the damn camera off my face!" She snapped and immediately regretted her action.

She promised to be nothing but nice to him, but there she was, snapping and scowling at him.

TJ kissed his teeth, totally enjoying getting on her nerves. He smiled as an old couple waved at them.

Chimdi frowned more.

Loving and responsible parents walked their children round the beach, laughing heartily and playing handballs.

Again, all felt strange to Chimdi.

As a kid, she never spent time with her Mother, but was always locked in with her worst nightmares or with Antni, who she totally ignored after a horrible school day.

And after she clocked twelve and things began to fall into place for Ginika, she spent the weekends alone, sleeping and eating.

She smiled as she saw a baby toddle to where she and TJ stood. Confused at first, she looked down to find an air ball at TJ's feet.

The baby smiled shyly at TJ, before looking back at his parents, who waited patiently, urging him to get the ball and smiling adoringly at him. The sight alone brought tears to Chimdi's eyes.

They were happy, so happy.

Still watching -- all smiles, Chimdi watched the baby stretch his chubby hands to receive his ball from TJ, who bounced the ball a few times before handing it to the baby.

The baby took the ball and toddled back to his parents, who waved at Chimdi and TJ, before proceeding with playing.

Chimdi couldn't wipe the smile gracing her lips, as she stared at the young family.