Chapter 16: When the Wolf Meets the Humans

The next day in the lair is rather peaceful. The turtles have a morning training session with Master Splinter, one that Destiny opts out of on Donatello's orders. After, the five teens take to engaging in other activities; Leonardo and Raphael playing video games together in front of the TV, Donatello lounging near them on his computer, Destiny and Michelangelo playing pinball.

A loud whoop sounds from the entrance to the lair, followed closely by ringing laughter. Destiny stops the game to glance up at the noise, her eyes falling on two regular human people; one a redhead girl, the other a boy decked out in hockey equipment. She recognizes them from the pictures in Donatello's laboratory.

She freezes, the pinball disappearing between the levers with a resounding honk of failure. Michelangelo swoops in and bumps Destiny out of the way, hardly noticing how on edge she looks. She takes careful steps backwards, claws unsheathed, tail fur fluffed, fangs showing through the hesitant open-mouthed grimace on her face.

"Hey guys!" the girl says, not noticing the newcomer. She adjusts the bag on her shoulder, leaning her weight onto one hip. "Sorry we haven't dropped by lately. Casey and I have been pretty busy with school."

"Nah, it's all good, April. We've been pretty busy too," Donatello says, straightening up as he flashes a smile. Destiny notes his cheeks turning pink.

April's bright blue eyes widen, freckled cheeks lifting. "Oh yeah! Mikey told me!" She looks around, still failing to notice Destiny. In her defence, the wolf has taken to hiding behind a rather sizeable pillar. "Where's the new girl?"

Destiny feels tremors crawl up her spine, a sick feeling building in her gut. Questions, thoughts, and fears race through her head like squirrels on miniaturized treadmills; what if they scream and run? What if they laugh? What if they call her a freak? She knows they've accepted the turtles, but are they going to be okay with her?

"She was just here," Michelangelo says. He pivots in place, eye-ridges furrowed. "Desti-bear! Dezzy? DESTINY!"

"Screaming isn't gonna help, Mikey," Raphael snaps.

"Find her soon, dude," Casey says, fiddling with one of the straps on his glove. "I wanna meet this femme-mutante..." he adds, a teasing smirk on his face.

Donatello rolls his eyes. "That was some of the worst French I've ever heard, Jones."

Casey laughs as he shrugs his shoulders, his nonchalance only serving to make Donatello angrier. April shakes her head as the faintest trace of a smile lifts her lips.

"Des?"

Destiny jumps and claps a hand over her mouth as she spins around, finally ripping her attention from the conversations happening outside of her hiding spot. Leonardo stands behind her, a shocked countenance decorating his features. He holds up one hand in a half-wave.

"Sorry," he apologizes. Destiny takes a few deep breaths, making him step closer to her. "Uh...are you okay?"

She looks at her feet, pressing her shoulder against the concrete pillar as she purses her lips. She shakes her head, making his face fall.

"They're going to scream," she whispers, wrapping her arms around herself. She swallows, her voice getting even quieter. "I don't want them to be scared of me."

Leonardo looks up at April and Casey, his jaw clenching, and then returns his attention to the wolf. "They won't be scared of you."

"How do you know?"