xvii. tales of the sea

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑬𝑬𝑵
❝ 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒂 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

"AS YOU ARE AWARE, ERU ILÚVATAR made everything

"AS YOU ARE AWARE, ERU ILÚVATAR made everything. We are no exception to that. Though we aren't original children of Eru, we come quite close. We weren't born within the same light as you. The Vala, Ulmo, Lord of the Ocean, gave the task to the Maia Ossë and Uinen to guard and protect the ocean. For many years, they did so, but after centuries of doing their duty, they soon asked for retirement measures. Ulmo wasn't entirely happy with this but after they gave off an heir, he let it happen."

After being silent for a while, Vera decided to indulge in an explanation of her true kin and species to stop from asking useless questions, particularly eyeing Pippin and Merry. Vera releases a deep breath, gnawing on her nail brutally as blood seeps out with the endless picking of her finger. Many stares from her friends reflect on her nervous figure and the embers of the fire glow in her eyes and on her face. She continues, "Aeriel was a maia, as well, like her parents. Ulmo...took a liking towards her — a little creepy, I know — but it ended up nicely for me, considering I wouldn't be who I am without his fondness towards her." Her tone is light but no one laughs, all too shocked.

"What do you mean?" Frodo questions inquisitively, genuinely curious as to her explanation. Thankfully, he didn't seem unhappy with her and a smile appears on her face. She is quite worried about what her Hobbit friends would think about hiding a secret from them without an explanation.

"Ulmo decided to gift Aeriel with treasures — which contributes to the gold laid at the depths of the ocean — but she never reciprocated such feelings and refuses the treasures and items. So, Ulmo gives her another gift. One that wasn't physical. The gift of magic."

"Magic?" Merry queries excitedly. "Like wizards? Can you do fireworks too?"

Vera chuckles. "Actually, no. Though, I would like to see some, one day," she smiles at Gandalf. "But Ulmo gifts her the ability to move water at her will, making her a very powerful maia, more powerful than her own parents, even. Having the gift to move the water and everything related to it brought her much power and strength, but that wasn't everything Ulmo gave her. He granted her skill with weaponry and hand-to-hand, giving her the title as protector and ruler of the Sea. It seems he gave her everything, no?"

"You can't tell me that she didn't love him after that. That'll make any woman swoon!" Gimli exclaims in disbelief.

"I'm afraid so, Gimli. At that time, many creatures were made and ruled alongside Aeriel for the rest of her reign but...she grew lonely. She never married anyone nor did she produce heirs, so, she requested a companion to keep herself comfortable. Ulmo made another and so the heir to the throne began and so did the ocean's life. Each ruler brings the ocean safety, happiness, and health because each one of us holds the capability to do so. We're stronger than those of the sea, making us greater rulers, until now." Vera finishes.