Chapter 37

Song: God Made You Beautiful by Beyoncé

Being a father was probably the hardest job in the world. I learned that after only a week. Even without the constant need for caregiving it would be difficult. I thought about Alex thousands of times in a day and I was always worried about him.

As I did for a majority of the day, I was worried about him that morning as I tried to soothe him. He had been crying nonstop for almost fifteen minutes. I couldn't even ask America for help because she was in the shower. It seemed impossible that this could be anything but bad. I was one week old once. There was no way I'd cried that much at that age.

I was afraid that something was wrong, that he was sick. That was the only thing I could think of. His diaper was clean. America had fed him before getting into the shower. He was swaddled in the warmest blanket he had. What else could it be?

"Come on, Alex," I said softly. "Please don't cry. Shh, shh. It's okay."

He just continued to bawl, little tears streaming down his cheeks and his nose beginning to run. I was getting so distressed I might've been getting close to tears myself.

America emerged from the bathroom, dressed in a robe. She furrowed her brow as soon as she noticed our crying son. She walked over and I gladly put him in her arms.

"I think he's sick, America. I don't know what else to do. I checked everything and that's the only thing I can think of."

She pressed her hand to his forehead. "Maxon, he's not even hot. He doesn't have a fever. I'm sure he's fine."

I didn't want to let go of it that easily. I was still anxious. "Not having a fever doesn't mean there isn't something wrong," I explained.

"No, it doesn't," she agreed. She rocked him and he still cried. "But he is fine, Maxon. Babies cry a lot. It's just what they do."

America took him back to his nursery and placed him in his crib. I tried to go around her so I could try to calm him again, but she blocked me with her body. She grabbed my wrists gently and moved me away. "Maxon, Alex is okay. I promise. I know you're worried, but there isn't a reason to be."

I gave her a pleading look. "Are you sure we shouldn't take him down to the infirmity? Just to be sure? It could be the flu or Respiratory Syncytial Virus or an allergic reaction to something or-"

America cut me short by kissing me. I lost my train of thought for a moment, but recovered.
"Mmhm, no, babe," I said against her lips as I tried to pull away. "Maybe we should just take precautionary measures here."

She kissed me again to shut me up. It was harder to pull away because she really was addicting and it had been a long time since she'd been in the mood for romance. I still managed to escape her lips again though. "America, I'm serious. Stop it."

"You really want me to stop?" she breathed, still close enough that her lips skimmed mine when she spoke.

"Yes," I said though my tone gave away how much I was lying.

America smiled and said, "You don't sound like you want me to stop"

She kissed my jaw and I bit my lip. I finally relented and kissed her on the mouth, my self-control failing me. We stayed that way for a minute before she moved away. She wrapped her arms loosely around my waist, remaining far enough away that she could look at me comfortably. Her expression was soft and warm.

"Do you hear that?" she asked.

"Hear what?"

"Exactly," she smirked. "He's not crying anymore. I told you that it's just what babies do."