Chapter 30

"Chaos happened after the soldiers returned." Helda said, walking beside me as we ventured deeper throughout the woods. Her eyes would flicker around us warily, as if expecting someone to launch out at any moment to attack, but we were still near the pack and I'd spotted a few warriors as we walked.

"My uncle, aunt and cousins packed up their things and left after the soldiers returned. Some of the members of the council left as well in less than an hour, and Elizabeth and I got into a terrible argument when I refused to go with them. It was almost as if she had become a completely different person, and it was terrifying. She was so aggressive." Helda's eyes narrowed as she seemed to recall what happened.

A grimace of irritation crossed her face and her pace quickened to match up with mine. "I stayed in Corozal after they departed, and then some of the warriors of this pack came for me."

Helda fell quiet as we passed by a barely clothed male pack member, and I noticed the way her cheeks flushed and eyes briefly drifted to the ground at that moment. She hissed after we passed him, "Is that some sort of normalcy here? Walking around like that?"

I glanced at the man who'd disappeared behind some trees. "I suppose. I've seen many with little clothes."

Helda studied me. "It doesn't bother you?"

I scoffed, taking hold of her hand and directing her to the tree stump on the slope that would allow us to have a great view of the woods. "Surprised, but not bothered. I've seen plenty of naked persons in the Klawmoon prison at times so seeing lycans half-dressed doesn't disturb me."

Helda had not been in the prison as long as I had. Whilst I'd been there for twelve years, she'd only been in for five; I've perhaps witnessed more events than she had throughout her time there.

"Do you think we will have to wear similar clothes?" Helda asked, but then frowned. "Or lack of clothes, I mean?"

My lips twitched. "No."

Helda held my gaze for a moment longer, and then I gestured to the view before us. I watched as the tension on her face dissolved as she allowed herself to soak in the beautiful sight, and she plopped down heavily on the tree stump, widened blue eyes seeming to take in every detail of what was laid before us.

A frozen lake was in the distance, and many trees bare of leaves could be seen as well. The sunlight reflected off of the frozen lake, making it appear to shimmer. The morning sky was pink with a slight purplish hue, and I knew that in a short time the sky would become either gray or light blue.

"It's gorgeous." Helda breathed. "Do you spend much time out here?"

"I'd like to. I only returned a few days ago, remember?"

Helda nodded, eyes still fixated on the view before us. I continued to watch her for a short while, somewhat relieved that her sadness was gone, although temporarily. I remained standing by her side, fingers drifting over the denim coat I wore. One of the many pieces of clothing Hannes had bought for me.

I shifted on my feet at the thought, ears beginning to sting and my movement drew Helda's attention away to me. Immediately she apologized, and scouched around, offering me a spot to perch myself on the tree stump.

"Thank you." I told her. She nodded and then pulled out a small yellow packet, which I soon realized to contain mints.

"Where did you get this?" I asked, accepting the mint she offered me. It was the same white color of the sleeping pill I'd taken, but much larger. The scent of peppermint drifted from it when I inhaled.