十四 [1]

B R O T H E R S    I N    A R M S ― 1

[Itachi]

     Fugku's lecture was enough to make my mood turn from back to worse. For three straight hours, he berated me that I hadn't executed the warrents for their arrest properly. Little did he know that I wanted to give my friends a dignified end. 

    Grimacing, I could almost envision Etsuko nudging me in the shoulder and pout 'I told you so'. She'd been right all along, Fugaku couldn't differentiate my personality from a rock. All he cared about was power and the idea of domination, he didn't care if it took my life or Sasuke's to achieve it. I should've known better than to involve myself into his politics, but that was Lord Third's wish―and I had to do what was best for my village. 

     There was no love left for my clan, their cryptic obsession with hatred couldn't have been Madara's dying wish―but the adoption of this ideology was enough to turn by back on the Uchiha. It didn't matter that I legally had the right to rule after my father, I knew that if I ever did succeed his authority, the Uchiha would be too far gone to change. 

     "Itachi!" Kakashi gave me a lopsided wave. I hadn't noticed that I'd stopped walking in the middle of the street as villagers continued their lives around me. I slid the weasel mask to the left side of my face and nodded at my former commander. "I heard you revoked your captaincy in the ANBU, why is that?"

      I simply shrugged. I couldn't tell Kakashi Hatake that I was planning to leave the village and start a new life. . .a false life and lead my friends down a path filled with nothing but hatred. 

      "I suppose it's not my business," Kakashi averted his gaze skyward to see two large crows overhead.

      Karasu and Kuragari seemed to observe me from a distance. 

      "Have you seen Etsuko lately? Lord Hokage informed me that she was supposed to take a recon mission with Team Ro last week, but she didn't show up. He doesn't know where she is. . .and Lord Danzo turned on me as soon as I mentioned her name," Kakashi's eyes flicked down to me as he frowned. "I just thought you'd know since you're always with her. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Shisui either―is everything okay between you guys? Ever since you were kids the three of you never separated." 

       "I have bigger things to worry about than traitors like them," I replied monotone.

     Kakashi's lone black eye retracted in his socket slightly. They way I was acting was definitely out of character, but I had to convince myself that I could successfully pull off a lie. He stepped forward and in a blink, held me by the throat. 

     We were close to a secluded concrete alley with walls towering above us. Kakashi pulled me by the neck and slammed my head against the wall. All could be heard was the animalistic growl that escaped my former Sensei's lips. Though the sound was muffled by the black mask he wore, I could tell from the way his Sharingan changed into the Mangekyou, that I'd pissed him off.

     Even a non-Uchiha could awaken the Mangekyou, was I simply unworthy? 

      "I may not know what's gone on between the three of you, but if you abandon your comrades, you're a piece of shit," Kakashi hissed. "You've changed Itachi, the boy I taught was the same one that turned into a man and broke protocol to see Etsuko when we were on a mission. The same man that always sent his crow on daily voyages back to the village to inform his friends that the mission was going well, the same man that poured his feelings out to me on the day they pulled away from him. . .where is he now?"