Chapter 80

We all stood still as Umbridge led Hermione and Harry out of the office with her wand pointed at them.

The Slytherins had loosened their grips on us, yet wouldn't let go. But after minutes of silence had passed, Ginny suddenly struck the boy behind her harshly in the stomach with her elbow.

Everything happened at once; the boy's breath was knocked out of his chest and Ginny took the opportunity, pulling her own wand out of his grasp.

     Followed by the diversion, the rest did the same and soon everyone was sending hexes and jinxes around.

I had to duck when Ginny set her Bat-Bogey Hex on Malfoy and I laid on the ground until all Slytherins were passed out on the floor.

"Let's get out of here," I said urgently as I grabbed Hermione's and Harry's wands and we hurriedly left the office, running towards the forest.

We met the two of them halfway without Umbridge by their side, as they were apparently running back towards the office to get their wands back.

"How did you get away?" asked Harry in amazement, taking his wand from me.

"Couple of Stunners, a Disarming Charm," said Ron airily, as I handed back Hermione's wand too. "But Ginny was best, she got Malfoy — Bat-Bogey Hex — What've you done with Umbridge?"

"She got carried away," said Harry. "By a herd of centaurs."

     I was conflicted. I knew that if Harry didn't go to the Ministry, the Prophecy wouldn't be destroyed, those many Death Eaters weren't going to be captured, and I knew the Ministry wouldn't find out that Voldemort had returned.

      I knew if I meddled with that and stopped them from going, more horrible things were to happen. But the thought of losing Sirius had messed up my mind.

"Anyway, never mind that now," said Ron hurriedly. "Harry, what did you find out in the fire? Has You-Know-Who got Sirius or — ?"

"Yes," said Harry, as his scar gave another painful prickle, "and I'm sure Sirius is still alive, but I can't see how we're going to get there to help him."

"No, you're not!" I suddenly cried out before I could even stop myself, causing everyone's heads to turn on me.

"What?" Harry raised a brow at me furiously.

I knew I wasn't supposed to meddle. But the words were coming out of my mouth uncontrollably as my heart was beating faster than ever before.

"Look, Harry," I started anxiously. "I know what's going on. I know what I'm talking about. Please listen to me."

He looked as if he was going to believe me for a split second, but then he shook his head briskly.

"I can't risk it," he said firmly. "I just need to find a way to get to the Ministry. But I just don't know how."

"Well, we'll have to fly, won't we?" said Luna matter-of-factly.

"Okay," said Harry irritably, rounding on her, "first of all, 'we' aren't doing anything if you're including yourself in that, and second of all, Ron's the only one with a broomstick that isn't being guarded by a security troll, so —"

"I've got a broom!" said Ginny.

"Yeah, but you're not coming," said Ron angrily.

"Excuse me, but I care what happens to Sirius as much as you do!"

"You're too —" Harry began.

"I'm three years older than you were when you fought You-Know-Who over the Sorcerer's Stone," she said fiercely, "and it's because of me Malfoy's stuck back in Umbridge's office with giant flying bogeys attacking him —"

"Yeah, but —"

"We want to help." Luna smiled happily.

I started pacing around in frustration as they went back and forth, that I suddenly realized something was wrong.

Neville was missing.

I tried to shake my head from the thought, knowing that there were more important matters at hand.

"Well, it doesn't matter anyway," said Harry frustratedly, "because we still don't know how to get there —"

"I thought we'd settled that?" said Luna maddeningly. "We're flying!"

"Look," said Ron, barely containing his anger, "you might be able to fly without a broomstick but the rest of us can't sprout wings whenever we —"

"There are other ways of flying than with broomsticks," said Luna serenely.

"I s'pose we're going to ride on the back of the Kacky Snorgle or whatever it is?" Ron demanded.

"The Crumple-Horned Snorkack can't fly," said Luna in a dignified voice, "but they can."

Harry whirled around. And I knew, where we couldn't see them, now stood a few invisible Thestrals.

"Yes!" he whispered, moving toward them.

"Is it those mad horse things?" said Ron uncertainly, staring into distance. "Those ones you can't see unless you've watched someone snuff it?"

"Yeah," said Harry.

"How many?"

"Just two."

"Well, we need three," said Hermione, who was still looking a little shaken.

"Four, Hermione," said Ginny, scowling.

"I think there are six of us, actually," said Luna calmly, counting me as well.

Harry tried to speak them out of it, but they broke into protests and he finally gave up.

"Okay, fine, it's your choice," Harry said curtly. "But unless we can find more thestrals you're not going to be able —"

"Look, here come more now..." Luna pointed.

"Alright, then," Harry nodded. "Pick one and get on it, then."

The rest of them nodded and followed Harry unsurely and I felt the feeling of panic surging from within me once again.

"Stop!" I shouted. "All of you!"

Harry turned on me sharply. "Lexi, I saw Sirius with my own eyes. He's there. I can feel it. We need to go to the Department of Mysteries and save him —"

"SIRIUS IS NOT THERE!"